22/ Return to Riverdale

"A family. His family. He'd do anything for his kids." Fred had known FP long enough to understand his every action, even one like this. It was one of the reasons why he wasn't sure what to do.

"Even sacrificing his own happiness?" Betty dared asked out loud. Alice blinked. Did her daughter think that she was part of that?

"Even that." Fred said sadly.

In a moment of absolute silence Alice had snuggled up closer to Fred and he held her even tighter than before. And just when he was holding one of his closest friends his mind started to spiral. He was done with waiting. He was done with seeing both of his friends suffer. There was only one way to solve it. Take action.

"You know what? If he doesn't want to come here, then we'll drive to Toledo. We're not going to sit here and cry about him when he is a car ride away." Fred stated confident, and made an attempt to stand up and grab his keys.

However, it didn't seem like everybody was as psyched as he was. They all stayed in their seat and watched him with hesitating looks.

"Fred, do you really think that's a good idea?" Alice didn't see this as a good way to get FP back to Riverdale, not when he had been clear about his choice. She wiped away her last tears as she had calmed down.

"I am not afraid of Gladys. Neither should you." Fred pointed out sternly, crossing his arms as he looked at her. It wasn't like him to take an action like this, but seeing his friend so broken was the last straw.

Alice stayed silent as she sniffed and played with her nails. Truth was, she was scared of what would happen if she'd show up. Not just for a possible rejection from FP, but from what his girlfriend was willing to do to her. Fred noticed that Alice wasn't convincing her.

"Come on, we know how crazy FP is about you, the letter is of proof of that. The question is, do you wanna take a risk?"

He sat next to her again and grabbed her hand to squeeze it assuringly. He needed her to go with him. This could he the nudge FP needed to realize that his happiness is in Riverdale.

"It's clear that he didn't want me, Fred. He chose to be with his family. I need to accept that." Alice argued with him.

There were too many reasons not to do this. She needed to deal with her broken heart, instead of feeding into the hope that this could still lead somewhere.

She had a point. If this is what he wanted, then she shouldn't try to get her way. That wasn't fair to him and his family.

"Because he has no idea how you feel, Alice." Fred shot back.

"I chased after him! Didn't that say enough?" Alice exclaimed, growing annoyed that she was being pushed.

Fred grew softer. With any other person it might have been enough. And yes, he knew that what Alice did was out of her feelings for him, but this wasn't just any person she had been going after. This was FP. And things weren't easy with him.

"That's not how it works with FP, I think you know that by now. He doesn't even love himself, how could he believe someone else does without hearing them say it?" Fred asked softly, making her tear up again.

Alice knew he was right. FP need clarity. She shouldn't let him assume based on her actions. But there was too much at stake, wasn't there?

"I can't be a home wrecker. I can't." Her voice cracked as she averted her gaze from Fred. One thing was holding her back— Jughead and Jellybean.

It was silent for a while, until finally someone else chimed into the discussion.

"Mom? You remember the day FP came over after I told you I was pregnant?" Polly started quietly, letting her Mom recall the moment she had shared with him. They had been snuggled up on the couch as he listened to how overwhelming her day had been.