6/ A Laugh With A Friend

"What is so special about it? It's just fast food." Archie and Betty walked into the most famous diner of the town, the sound of the bell above the door echoing through Pop's. The redheaded boy shook his head as he took her to the counter.

"This isn't just any fast food, Betty! It's really good. The best in the state." He smiled proudly, knowing that in a matter of time she would come to learn that he was absolutely right about that.

"If you say so..." Betty figured that he was just extrageratting because he was someone who loved junkfood. Though, she had to admit that the diner had a cute retro style that she loved a lot.

"Pop, can we have two cheese burgers, please?" Archie tapped his finger into the counter as he looked at the owner of the store, who like always had a smile for every customer.

"Sure you can. Who's your friend?" Pop smiled kindly and looked at Betty, who gave him a warm smile back.

"This is Betty Cooper, she moved in across the hall." Archie looked at the blonde next to him and grinned.

She wasn't sure what was waiting for her, but she hoped the high expectations would be met.

"Welcome to Riverdale, Betty. This one is on the house." Pop offered them the two burgers and without missing a beat Archie took his first bite, while Betty was still hesitating. She couldn't accept something like that from a stranger, could she?

"That's too kind, sir... I can't accept that." She took out her debit card, but Pop kindly refused it.

As a city girl she wasn't used to offers like this from people she had met seconds ago. This kind of kindness was new for her. However, it felt like something she could get used to.

"That's how it works here, Betty." Archie mumbled with his mouth full, being barely audible. T

he girl laughed and took the burger in her own hands and finally brought it to her mouth. An explosion of different spices hit her tastebuds and for a second she needed to stop to fully savor the moment of the very first time she ate a Pop's burger.

"Okay... wow. This is truly amazing." Betty chuckled as she swallowed her first bite, making both Archie and Pop look proud.

"And you haven't even tried their milkshakes yet." Archie playfully pushed her with his elbow and Pop took the hint to make them some.

"Thanks for showing me around, Archie. It means a lot." Betty said a little shyly, as opening up had never been a strong suit of hers.

Though, she had to admit that being around Archie with his welcoming energy did make her feel a lot better.

"It's my pleasure. You're fun to hang around with." He smiled at her, his cheeks flushing a little no matter how hard he tried to pretend that being with her didn't affect him the same way it did to her.

"What do you say we take some for everyone?" Archie offered after he took the first sip of the milkshake Pop had just brought them.

"Sounds great! I am sure my Mom is going to love this, too." Betty grinned brightly. She was sure they were going to be addicted to this diner food, but that was a risk she was willing to take.

"Aren't you tried yet of having dinner with us?" Her cheeks flushed, even when she tried to be casual about it.

If she was being honest with herself, she had felt like burden towards the Andrews family for hanging out there so often.

"Of course not. We love having you around. Your Mom gets along with my Dad and FP quite well, right?"

Archie assured her quickly that it was more than fine, especially since there seemed to grow a friendship between the two households.