"No, it's not that. Living in the Republic is expensive and Yunhee couldn't afford commuting here for work anymore. We're lucky we saved up enough and landed some pretty good paying jobs." he tried reassuring her.

"Whatever." she sighed deeply.

"Have you been talking to Seongbin? It's a bummer he couldn't drive up here for Christmas." Chanwoo changed the topic, understanding she wasn't fond with the idea of moving.

Minseo nodded in response, cracking a small smile at the mention of his name. "Yeah, him and I are fine." she shrugged.

"Long distance, huh?"

Her lips pursed at the reminder, feeling heavily burdened with the concept. "It can't be that bad, it's only a thirty minute drive without traffic. He said he'll visit on the weekends and I can drive to Jaegu too." she convinced herself.

Chanwoo ruffled the messy hair on her head, standing back up. "That's the spirit, Minnie. Make sure you wake your brother up for school tomorrow." he smiled, walking out of the room.

A small groan left her lips, remembering she had to go to the same school as him.

It was bad enough being the only non shifter attending the school, but people knowing she had an annoying first year brother? She could only imagine how dreadful the first week was going to be.

Finally stretching out of her bed, she lugged her feet to the room beside hers, swinging the door open.

"Go mid. No, I said mid- fucking shit!" the pubescent boy yelled into his headset, angrily mashing the buttons on his controller.

"Watch your language." Minseo leaned against the doorway, earning his attention.

"What do you want?" Minjun grumbled, laying back into his beanbag while taking a sip of the energy drink beside him on the floor.

"Is that your hot older sister?!" a boy in his headset asked, making both of their faces scrunch up in disgust.

"Keep dreaming, kiddo." she leaned into the mic, rolling her eyes. "I'm waking you up early tomorrow, I need to get gas and breakfast." she informed him, making an obnoxious groan leave his lips.

"Why?" he whined.

"I just told you why, you brat. Get some sleep tonight, you've been yelling till six in the morning the past week."

Minjun silently mocked her as she walked outside of his room, back into her own.

She unlocked her phone, clicking on someone's contact to FaceTime. It rung a few times before they picked up, making a small smile appear on her lips.

"Hey, babe." a deep voice greeted her on the other end.

"Hi, I'm about to go to sleep so I wanted to talk for a bit." she grinned at the screen, rubbing her eyes with her free hand.

The boy didn't spare a glance to his phone, keeping his eyes focused on the monitor of his PC setup.

"You're playing video games, aren't you?" she exhaled deeply, still not gaining his attention.

"Seongbin?" she said louder into the mic, finally averting his gaze.

"Hm? Oh, yeah. Sorry, I'm in the middle of a game right now." he let out a low whistle, making her lips form into a slight frown.

Nevertheless, she smiled at the camera softly. "It's alright, I'm gonna get some rest then. I'll talk to you tomorrow." her tone was sweet, but disappointment filled her system.

"Cool, I'll talk to you tomorrow, babe. Love you!" he said over the clicking of his keyboard.

"I love you too." she hung up the call, shutting her phone off in the process.

It was no doubt that she felt the inevitable melancholy that followed as she adjusted to the new space. Her eyes trailed over the unpacked boxes that still sat on her floor, despite everyone else that had fully moved into the new home.

It was as if settling down meant really leaving everything she knew behind- learning how to live with the new society she was foreign to.

A girl like her didn't know how to fit into the lavish house on the street full of politician's daughters and sons, skilled shifters at that.

No rays of the moon spilled through her curtains due to the gloomy clouds that always lingered above their roof, regardless if it were clear skies everywhere else.

"It's like the sky is feeling the same way." she whispered to herself, pulling the blanket up to her chin.

As she closed her eyes, she processed the idea of going to school tomorrow, a place where every kid was nothing like her. No matter how much she tried to make good of the situation, she couldn't come up with anything, accepting that she'd be friendless for the rest of her senior year.

"Welcome to the Republic, I guess." she sighed, falling into a deep slumber.

one — beginning

hiiii a little intro chapter to set up our beautiful main character's life a bit! it takes place right after the first book, so yeaaa minseo moved there right before christmas

if you guys are new and haven't read inferno, id highly suggest doing so because it's book one of this series, but i mean honestly it doesn't play too much of a role in this book

but i have plans for dis one hehe, i hope to see all my familiar readers from inferno!!! starting a book from scratch will be a bit discouraging at first, but im glad i have my lovely readers from book one!!

any predictions or whateverrrr hehe