𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. MISSING PIECES

▬▬▬▬▬ CHAPTER EIGHT ▬▬▬▬▬

SOMEHOW, ESMERELDA'S TUTORING SESSIONS WITH Cedric seemed to have... switched without her even realizing it until now. Ever since he discovered that she was a 'Magic Savant' (his words, not hers), he was going to her more and more for help with his DADA lessons where almost everything had to be done non-verbally.

Of course, he was still helping her with her own work from the previous year, but their sessions have gotten longer because once he was finished tutoring her, she would tutor him afterwards. Esmerelda actually didn't mind it, she liked helping people! Plus, it kind of reminded her of her times training Lou Ellen with magic—the only difference being that Cedric was more of an older brother to her rather than a little sister.

"Okay, I'm gonna set this table on fire," she said, much to the horror of her upperclassman. "And you're gonna non-verbally cast the water-making spell in order to stop the fire from spreading and burning down the whole common room."

He gaped at her, but she only smiled in return. "Have you gone mad? You could just use paper or something—why the table?! That's too dangerous!"

"Trust me, Ced, danger is the best motivator." It worked for her at least, so why wouldn't it work for him? Without waiting for him to reply, she set placed her hand on the surface of the table and set it alight.

Cedric jumped to his feet, earning the attention of basically everyone else in the common room.

"No, no, no!" Esmerelda shouted before anyone could cast a spell. "We're tutoring here! Cedric has to fix this, nobody else!"

Cedric gulped. "A-aqu—"

"—Nope," she quipped, casting the silencing spell over him. He stared at her in horror. "Non. Verbally." She reminded him.

"Essie, the fire's gonna reach the carpet!" Someone squeaked.

"It'll be fine," she shrugged. "Cedric?"

The poor boy would've whimpered had he not been forcefully silenced. She gave him a stern look and he steeled himself. With a face full of determination, he pointed his wand at the fire and after several seconds, a harsh, messy stream of water shot out from it.

Esmerelda beamed once the fire had been extinguished. With a wave of her hand, all the burnt damage on the table had disappeared and she casually sat back down as if she hadn't just set a piece of school property on fire.

"Great job, Ced! See, I told you you could do it!" She exclaimed, removing the silencing spell off of him.

"You're bonkers," he said, sighing heavily as he practically collapsed on his chair. The crowd around them slowly calmed down, though some people were still shooting the pair wary looks.

She clapped for him, giving him a bright smile. "You did great! Though your reaction time could use a little work..."

He gave her an incredulous look. "I thought you were tutoring me for DADA not combat or whatever!"