𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢. AMBIVALENCE

▬▬▬ CHAPTER TWENTY SIX ▬▬▬

ESMERELDA HAD BEEN ON A warpath ever since Nico was abducted from Ikea, much to Ethan's great concern. He had never seen her look so scarily determined, let alone furious. He was pretty certain she wasn't even this mad when he betrayed her.

"Essie," he tried to speak to her.

She kept storming forward.

He chased after her and grabbed her arm. "Essie," he said more firmly. "Essie, we've been searching for hours."

"So you just want to stop looking for him? He could be dead!" She fretted.

"He's not," he told her, hoping his tone sounded gentle enough. "Remember what you said? That man—Minos—needs him to kill Daedalus. He needs him alive."

That seemed to have lessened the tension on her shoulders.

"We will find him, okay? But right now, we need to rest. We won't be able to get him back if we're dead on our feet." He advised.

Esmerelda's expression turned uneasy, and she looked ahead of them where the tunnel continued, probably for miles. Not to mention there were so many other paths in their way—and they didn't even know if one of them would lead to Nico. The paths had changed since they've last been here.

"We need to rest," Ethan said softly.

"Okay," she agreed, her voice equally as soft.

"We'll sleep here then," he decided, looking around. They were in a dark corridor with hard ground and dirt walls. Not exactly a very pleasant place to sleep, but they've slept in worse conditions. This would have to do.

They laid down on the floor, using their backpacks as pillows. It was chilly in the Labyrinth, but they didn't really have anything to remedy that.

He glanced over at her. Her face was still white and her body was trembling slightly. He had no idea if it was from the cold or the anxiety she was feeling. He was almost tempted to hold her hand, but he knew better than to do that.

"We'll find him," he assured her instead. "He'll be okay."

"I hope so," she whispered back.

It took him a while to fall asleep, but when he woke up in a dream and felt that awful alertness, he knew he should've just stayed awake.

He was standing back at the top of Mount Tamalpais, which already wasn't a good sign. The glowing golden sarcophagus he was standing before was an even worse indication that something was not right.

Two telekhines were kneeling beside him. One was holding the worst weapon he had ever seen. A scythe. Of course, he had seen worse weapons, but there was something sinister surrounding this particular one.