Chapter 67

You sat up in bed with a yawn and looked over to check the time. There was a moment of panic before you remembered that you didn't have work. Connor was still asleep so you left him alone, he looked so peaceful.

Quietly you made your way out of bed and downstairs. The sun shown through the windows with a peaceful glow that you could sit in all day. You sat down on the couch and put the tv on a low volume so it wouldn't bother the still sleeping Connor.

Good afternoon my
Esteemed fellow!

You could hear Death's cheery voice.

Hello

Alright, I'll get right to
the point. You, me,  and
the angsty Emo, go to the
abandoned district because
I'm so kindly asking for your
Much needed help that would
Be greatly appreciated.

For what? Isn't that
place in shambles?

Yes, it is... But  we got
word of an android who's
stuck somewhere in the
Mess and isn't in great
Condition. Usually Markus
Would be with us but he's
Really busy. Please help, I'll
Owe ya.

Fine. You need
me to head over
now?

Yes!

You got to your feet and shut off the tv before heading upstairs once more with a sigh. Quickly you changed out of your pajamas, you'd leave a note for Connor when he awoke so he wouldn't worry.

You multi-tasked between brushing your teeth and trying to put on your shoes, effectively slowing down the process of both rather than saving you time. You descended down the staircase yet again and searched for a piece of paper. "Where are you going?" Connor had woken up and stood at the top of the stairs rubbing the sleep from your eyes. Well, you didn't need to leave a note "Ah, sorry, I didn't mean to wake you. Death asked me to help her out so I need to get going." You told him. "I'll come too." He insisted, not letting you respond before quickly getting ready to go.

"Alright then, let's go." You ushered him out the door not wanting to keep your friends waiting. A short brisk walk brought you back to the oh so familiar building you'd been to so many times before. "Yo, I'm here! I also brought one more." You found Death and Michael who were also ready to go. Death had a black backpack slung over her shoulder as she gave you a little wave. "Hey, Con man, glad you could join. Now, to explain what we're really doing here is there's an android stuck in the abandoned district that needs help." Death told the both of you.

"Wow, you don't say... It's almost like you didn't just explain this to her." Michael piped up with his usual sharp tongue. "Everyone's here... Let's just finish this headache." Michael turned to head out.

It felt like you were just hoping place to place, room to room, you just got here and now you were on your way out. The abandoned district you were going to was, well, an abandoned district. Many neighborhoods and such were left to rot in Detroit when it had started to advance and evolve at a much faster rate. There had always been talk about the city doing something about it... But this is Detroit we're talking about, cleaning up all the decaying buildings was never a realistic idea here.

You all traveled there by a self driving taxi. The ride consisted of a lot of banter mostly on Death's side, she explained how Markus wanted to do everything he could to help any android, therefor these 'rescue missions' were somewhat normal, they'd bring in an android that was too damaged to move on their own, fix them up and try to help start a stable life for them. Though the chances of failure were nothing to turn a blind eye to, that was a huge reason for Death coming along on these. It was her job to sit with the dying, and soothe them in their final moments.