Chapter Seventeen

It had been a quarter moon since Skykit had left the medicine cat den and she was doing a whole lot better. In fact, everyone but Dawnstar and Ravenwing had left. Lilypelt was doing a good job leading the Clan in the golden she-cat's absence, but Hawthornepaw could tell she was growing weary. It was a little after sun-up and both the morning and the hunting patrol had just left. The snow was still just as thick as after the snowstorm, it had snowed at least a little everyday, leaving the ground covered in a powdery white. She made her way out of her nest and saw the hunting patrol; Brushbranch, Doveleaf, Sunpelt, and Breezecloud, returning carrying about two or three scrawny mice each. They dropped their prey in a pile and she walked over to greet them. After they gave the mice to the sick, to Fernfoot, the one elder left in the elder den since Ravenwing was away, and then Lakeclaw and her kits.

"Do you want to share a mouse, Hawthornepaw?" Doveleaf asked and she obliged. When they finished the mouse, they started sharing tongues. 

"So," Doveleaf begins, "What's it like being Brushbranch's littermate?"

"It was very interesting. He doesn't like losing very much, but other than that he was fun."

Doveleaf purred in amusement, "I've seen him lose, he does get very sensitive."

"Yeah. I'm just wondering, why are you talking with me?Also, why are you so curious about him all of the sudden?"

Doveleaf gulps, "He asked me to be his mate last night and I said yes."

It was Hawthornepaw's turn to let out a loud purr, nuzzling the young, cream colored warrior. "I'm so happy for you two!" A yellow tom walks over from the edge of the camp, his green eyes shining with joy as he goes up and nuzzles the amber eyed she-cat. "Hi, Brushbranch!" Hawthornepaw exclaims, "Congratulations!"

"Thank you," he purrs. She walks up to her littermate and nuzzles him gently before heading into the woods. The trees were lightly powdered with slowly melting snow, the gentle pitter patter of the snow hitting the forest floor made her feel like she could fall asleep then and there. She walked deeper into the forest, the slushy snow crunching and sloshing beneath her paws. The smell of herbs right beneath the snow, faint but there. They were so close to sprouting, the snow wouldn't hold them back for much longer. Her ears pricked up in delight at the sound of bubbling water, she had made it to the stream. Crouching down she lapped up the delicious ice cold water, feeling it cover her tongue and then slip down her throat and into her belly. The lake and creek had unfroze only a few sunrises ago and the Clan was doing so much better, except for Dawnstar and Ravenwing of course. The birds were returning, too; she could hear the distant chirps and calls of them as they made their way back to the Clans. She heard a faint splashing and saw a silver fish darting through the water. With a quiver of excitement Hawthornepaw reached down her paw and swiped, but she missed. Irritated, she tried again but missed again. After one last try she lets out a heavy sigh before heading over to the lake and crouching by the edge of it, hoping to have better luck there. When she got to the banks she sat down slowly, curling her tail around her paws as she peered  over the edge of the lake. Soon enough, a fish came swimming by and she swiped for it, but once again missed.

Frog-dung! Why can't I catch a single fish, I used to be so good at this! She tried one last time and swooped her paw down, her claws hooking to a small silver fish. Placing it next to her she went again, this time pulling up a bigger one. Thank you, StarClan for these fish. Satisfied, she grabbed the fish and padded back to Camp through the woods, placing them in the fresh-kill pile. Lilypelt walked up to her, confused.

"Why are you hunting, aren't you a medicine cat apprentice?"

"Yeah, but I like hunting and I went for a walk out in the woods and saw these fish and caught them," she mewed, leaving out the part that she missed like twenty. The white she-cat flicked her tail in understanding.

"Ok, well than thank you for bringing us prey." Hawthornepaw dipped her head to her deputy and headed over to the Medicine Cat den and saw Mosstail crouched over Dawnstar, there was a ghostly cat walking out of her body, the familiar shape of her leader. She gasped as she realized that she had just lost a life. Rushing over to the side of the golden she-cat, she crouched down just as she took a deep breath, her green eyes fluttering open as she quickly got to her paws.

"Sit back down, Dawnstar. You just lost a life, you need your strength," the black tom told her, gently pushing her back down with his paw. Dawnstar sighed but obeyed, not struggling to get back up. "Hawthornepaw, go get her some fish, I'll help her back to her den." She nods and walks over to the fresh-kill pile, grabbing the bigger of the fish she had brought back from her hunt and gave it to the leader, who was settling in her nest in the leader's den. She gratefully eats it and gets to her paws, her strength slowly returning to her, and in walks a white she-cat, her green eyes full of concern.

"Dawnstar, are you ok?"

"Yes, I'm fine, Lilypelt," Dawnstar replied, licking her tangled fur smooth.

"I need to talk to you, in private please." The leader flicks her tail and the two medicine cats dip their heads and pad out of the den, heading back to Ravenwing, who's coughing violently. They give him some catmint and water and he closes his eyes, falling asleep in an instant.

"All cats old enough to swim gather beneath high tree for a Clan meeting!" Dawnstar yowls out, her voice as clear as the creek in the morning. Surprised at her sudden health, the Clan quickly gathers beneath her, curious as to what she has to say. "I know you are surprised to see me in full health, but it is with thanks to the expert skills of Hawthornepaw and Mosstail that I am." Hawthornepaw fidgeted nervously, knowing that it wasn't true, but she listened as she continued. "It is with great sadness that Lilypelt, has decided to give up her post as my deputy. Lilypelt, is it your wish to give up the name of a warrior and go join the elders?"

"It is," the white she-cat replied, her eyes full of regret, but they turned calm as her old friend continued.

"Your Clan honors you and all the service you have given to us. I call upon StarClan to give you many moons of rest." 

"Lilypelt! Lilypelt!" the Clan calls out as she dips her head to Dawnstar and pads over to the elder den, followed by Fernfoot, who rubs up against her new denmate. They purr and the calico she-cat helps her make a new nest, where they curl up in and fall into a blissful sleep. Light purrs rumbling all around the Clan as they disperse.

"Wait, stay here!" the golden she-cat calls out and the Clan scrambles back, quickly sitting back down, murmuring in confusion. "I have to appoint my new deputy. I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirits of our warrior ancestors may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of RiverClan will be Breezecloud." 

His chest puffs out in pride and the Clan yowls his name. Featherstep walked up to him and rubbed against her mate, purring loudly. Twigheart and Doveleaf bounded over, nuzzling their dad. She walks over and says her congratulations before heading back to the medicine cat den, gently treating Ravenwing.