Chapter Six

It was sun-high and Hawthornepaw was sharing tongues with Silverpaw, laughing as Dovepaw and Brushpaw were talking awkwardly, their tails flicking and constantly ducking their heads in embarrassment. 

"For someone so full of himself, he sure can't talk to a she-cat that's not his sister," Silverpaw said, mrowing in laughter.

"Well, they do make a pretty cute couple. I'm happy for Dovepaw, after she got that scar she was so worried that she'd never find a mate, but I think she's found one." Hawthornepaw replied. The young cats were warming up to each other, Brushpaw was cracking jokes that were actually funny (for once) and Dovepaw was rolling around, mrowing with laughter. 

"I can't believe you become a medicine cat apprentice today," Silverpaw said, her voice sad.

"Neither can I, you know I've always wanted to be a warrior, but I have to do what's best for the Clan. You and Brushpaw have your warrior assessments today, that's way more important than just going to Moonpool."

"Yeah, I guess. It just isn't the same without you there, taking it with us."

"Don't worry, I'll be here in camp waiting for you when you come back." Silverpaw flicks her tail appreciatively. 

"Thanks." 

"Silverpaw! Brushpaw!" Lilypelt and Breezecloud call out. 

"Good luck!" Hawthornepaw yowls as they follow their mentors into the forest. She waits anxiously for them to get back, pacing around camp and helping Mosstail sort out some fresh herbs. Eventually, she sees them walk back into camp, Silverpaw carrying a fish and a mouse, Brushpaw a fish and a vole. They drop their prey off at the fresh-kill pile and race over to Hawthornepaw excitedly.

"We did it!" Brushpaw yowls excitedly. "I think we passed!"

"Yeah," Silverpaw says, "We get our warrior names tomorrow!" Hawthornepaw purrs.

"I'm so proud of you! I can't believe that you are going to be warriors!" she says, her voice as enthusiastic as her littermates. She looks up at the sun, which is almost set. "Sorry, I have to go, it's a long journey to Moonpool." Her littermates nod in understanding and she heads over to the medicine cat den, where she sees two leaves carrying sorrel.

"Ok, eat the sorrel and we'll be on our way," Mosstail says. They eat the bitter herb and are off, heading to the Moonpool. They head off to the right and step into WindClan territory, Hawthornepaw wrinkles the nose at the nasty smell and the continue through. Soon, they run into the dusk patrol, who stops them.

"Where are you headed?" a calico she-cat with green eyes asks, hissing.

"It's half-moon, Briarleaf, calm down. Hawthornepaw is now a medicine cat apprentice, we're heading to Moonpool for her apprentice ceremony, please leave us in peace." Briarleaf hisses in annoyance and turns to her patrol.

"Come on," they stalk off, tails held high. Hawthornepaw and Mosstail continue on their path, eventually reaching ThunderClan territory. It doesn't smell quite as bad as ShadowClan and WindClan, but it still is not pleasing. They run into a light grey she-cat who's eyes light up warmly when she sees the two cats.

"Oh, Mosstail! Nice to see you again! Who's this?" she asks kindly, gesturing to the tortoiseshell she-cat. 

"This is my new apprentice, Hawthornepaw. She has been to a few gatherings, but as a warrior apprentice." 

The ThunderClan she-cat looks at her warmly, "Nice to meet you, Hawthornepaw. I'm Thorntail, the ThunderClan medicine cat. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Hawthornepaw dips her head respectfully, "You too." They continue up the hills, the sky getting darker and darker, the Silverpelt shining brightly beside the half-moon. When they finally reach Moonpool two cats are already there, a light brown tom with amber eyes and a light brown she-cat with amber eyes. Mosstail nudges her forward and she steps out in front of her two companions. 

"Umm," she says awkwardly, "I'm Hawthornepaw from RiverClan. I was about to become a warrior but then I had a vision and stuff so now I'm becoming a medicine cat." The other two cats glance at each other and the she-cat steps forward, her eyes warming at the sight of the young cat.

"Hi, I'm Fawnwhisker from WindClan, welcome to Moonpool."

Then, the tom steps forward and roughly says "Oatfur," and nothing else. 

Thorntail leans in towards Hawthornepaw and whispers, "He's from ShadowClan, he's pretty grumpy most of the time, but occasionally he can do something nice for a change, those are the fun days." Oatfur scowls at Thorntail but doesn't say anything else. 

"Should we start the ceremony?" Fawnwhisker asks. Mosstail nods and steps forward.

"Hawthornepaw, is it your wish to enter the mysteries of StarClan as a medicine cat?"

"It is," she replies without a waver in her voice.

"Then come forward." She obeys and takes a pace forward, walking to the edge of the Moonpool.

"Warriors of StarClan, I present you with this apprentice. They have chosen the path of a medicine cat. Grant them your wisdom and insight so that they may understand your ways and heal their Clan in accordance with your will." Hawthornepaw crouches down and laps up the cold water, feeling a shiver run through her spine. 

She opens her eyes and sees the most beautiful place she's ever seen. There is a grassy field and she takes a few paces forward and sees a gorgeous river full of brightly colored fish. She looks into it and sees the reflection of a grey/ blue she-cat beside her. She turns around to see the same cat standing next to her.

"Hello, Hawthornepaw," the cat meows, "I am Heatherleap, I have been watching you since you were an unborn kit. You're fate it hard, young one. Do you think you can handle it? If you don't, it hasn't been set into full motion yet, you can still back out."

Hawthornepaw gulps, "I can handle it. I know that through whatever hardships come my way I can always come back to StarClan for guidance."

Heatherleap nods her approval, "I knew I was right when I chose you. You are wise beyond your years. You are right, we will always be here for you, Hawthornepaw." 

The land fades as Hawthornepaw opens her eyes, pulling her nose back from the cold pool. She sees the other cats pulling back, too. She looked around for the first time, she was too nervous before to do so, and took in the beauty of the Moonpool. The stars and moon hit the water just right, it looked like the water was sparkling with light. When she looked up she could see the sky, the moon bright enough to see all of her surroundings. Her awe was interrupted when the other medicine cat's started chatting about their Clans and the herbs they had collected this Greenleaf. She walked over and stood by Mosstail as they walked out of the cave, not really listening to them. Oatfur was the first to leave, heading off to the right, back to ShadowClan. Then Thorntail left, heading off to ThunderClan camp. Fawnwhisker shortly followed, leaving the now mentor and apprentice in peace.

"How was your first journey to Moonpool?" Mosstail asks, his amber eyes peering into Hawthornepaw's. 

"It was amazing! I met this cat named..."

"You don't tell about this vision," Mosstail interrupts. "Any other vision you can tell me, but your apprentice vision is yours and yours alone." Hawthornepaw nods in understanding. They get back to camp and she follows Mosstail into the medicine cat den, curling up in the nest she had made earlier that day, falling into a deep, dreamless, sleep.