Promise?

I got home and as soon as I did my phone went off with a text message. I picked it up and saw that Sam has texted me like he said he would. He must've been on a break which meant very little time to text.

Hey Babe, which movie in mind?~Sam

Ooh, I heard that there's a new superhero movie out.~Gwen

Nah, what's other one? How about a horror movie?~Sam

I'll check to see all the horror movies on.~Gwen

I walked over to the family laptop and sat down to type. My phone was still close by. I typed in new horror movies and Google showed up with all kinds of answers. Including some gory pictures of people being eaten alive by some puppet thing. I tried to ignore the pictures as I scrolled around quickly; trying to find a movie before Sam's break ends. I nailed a movie down, picked up my phone and began to text Sam; hoping that he was still on break.

I think I've found a horror movie.~Gwen

After a short pause Sam replied back.

Cool, send me all the details later. I've gtg, Coach Brown is yelling at me. Love you~Sam

Love you too!~Gwen

The phone didn't buzz back at me, telling me that Sam had gone back to practice.

* * *

I stood out in the freezing cold waiting for Samson to pick me up from ice skating practice. He said he wouldn't be late this time. He promised me he wouldn't be late. Now he was late. Finally after several minutes of me waiting out in the 10 degree weather, Sam finally came. "Sorry, Gwendolyn, I got held up at football practice." Sam apologized.

"For 45 minutes?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him. Sam bit the bottom of his lip.

"Yeah well, you know Coach Brown, he can be a real pain." Sam laughed at his own little joke. I sighed and climbed into Sam's old car, not humored by his little remark.

People always see popular boys on tv showing up in a convertible or expensive cars. But not for Sam, he wasn't rich like those cliché dumb jocks in all of the teen fiction movies. Him and his dad have to share a car most of the time. Samson started for the movie theater. "How was practice?" Sam asked me. I shrugged.

"Same old, same old I guess." I answered. Sam reached over with his arm and set it onto my shoulders. We made it to the movie theater and strolled inside. Sam got us our tickets and popcorn. We walked into the theater.

After the movies, we went to the local ice cream store, where we bought a tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Sam cracked some jokes here and there while eating the cold deliciousness of ice cream, all the while we talked about school and the drama of it in his dad's car that sat in the sunset-bathed parking lot of the ice cream store. Finally I mentioned Locke.

"You know that new boy?" I asked.

"Yeah? Has he been flirting with you again? Because I can go show him not to mess with you." Sam suggested while scooping a spoon full of the mint-flavored ice cream into his mouth.

"No, no, he just wants to be friends with me now." I shrugged and took my bite of the ice cream. Sam nodded, still not won over by my award-winning persuasion.

"Well I don't want you to see him anymore, okay?"

"What? Samson, you do know I'm not your property, right? Girls can have guy friends while having a boyfriend at the same time." I stopped eating and glared at him.

"I'm not trying to control you, I just don't want that new boy to flirt with you anymore." Sam was getting slightly annoyed.

"He's not trying to flirt with me, he just wants a friend!"

"Well you just said how you don't want Locke to hang out with you."

I shook my head and stood up. I grabbed the door handle, about to open it when a hand took hold of my arm. "You're not going anywhere." Sam said casually.

"Let go of me Sam." I said solemnly.

"You aren't leaving me for that, that freak!"

"He's not a freak, and he has a name. It's Locke! Now let go of me!" I break free from Sam's grip and opened the door. I stepped out and slammed it shut behind me.

I couldn't believe Sam, he was trying to control me! How could he do this to me? He had never acted like this before, why now? I turned onto my street and headed to my house. Right before I get to the driveway Sam's rusted car pulled up. He opened his door to the cool night air. He ran over to me, trying to stop me in my tracks, but I ignored him and continued walking.

"Listen, Gwen, I'm sorry I was controlling you back there." Sam said. I didn't respond. "Gwen please answer me." Sam pleaded, but I ignored him yet again. "Fine, if you want to know the truth. I'm afraid I'm going to lose you. You're the best thing in my life." I stopped and turned to face him, still not in crossing my arms.

"Sam, just stop. Don't worry, you're not going to lose me. I won't leave you." I answered, still keeping my distance.

"Promise?" Sam asked. I nodded.

"I promise." Sam's face looked relieved after I had said that, and I walked up to him. I kissed Sam on the cheek before heading inside. But I still felt like my promise wasn't valid.