The beginning of the end

The boy trudged down the school hallway. Head down, book bag in hand. He was the new boy, the new boy that arrived in the middle of the school year. The worst possible time to arrive in high school.

I watched the boy trudge down the hallway. He glanced at me only once when passing by me, but once he noticed my intimidating jock for a boyfriend he quickly looked away. I glanced up at Sam and couldn't help but think that Samson was like my guard from everyone else. He kept me safe.

Sam and I were the high school sweet hearts, we had been together since freshmen year, and we had never broken up or taken a break from each other. We seemed like the power couple. Although, I'm not the head cheerleader like all of those cliché high school movies where the popular head cheerleader who has it all is dating the star quarterback.

In fact, I was the most normal girl you could find. I wasn't on any sports teams, I wasn't a cheerleader at all, and I was not on the yearbook comitee either. That was what I liked about mine and Sam's relationship, we weren't drama filled like the high school movies make it out to be.

We were just both two individuals trying to survive high school. Sam raked his fingers through his dark black hair and looked over at me with his warm brown eyes. While tall for his age along with being muscular, he looked normal-sized. Sure he towered over most adults, but if he ever wanted to try, he could pass as much older than he already was.

I didn't know what attracted him to me, he just fell in love with me. At first I was cautious, being a freshmen in high school scared me to death, having some freshman jock crushing on a nobody like me scared me even more.

But Sam showed me that he was different than the others. He showed me he loved me more than just my looks. And that was what won me over. Now we had been together for two years. We were still maddly in love.

The school bell rung, signaling for me to go to class. "Well, I guess I'll see you after class." Sam shrugged.

"Yeah, see you tomorrow." I replied. Sam and I parted ways.

* * *

I slipped my old winter coat on, the cold February weather was making everyone wear coats. I shut my locker, slung my backpack onto my shoulder and headed for the doors, but right when I was about to step out into the cold a large hand grabbed hold of my arm.

"Not funny Sam." I groaned and rolled my eyes playfully. But when I whipped my head around I wasn't met with Sam's dark brown eyes, I was met with cold blue ones. I jumped back, not getting too far with the boy's hand fixed tightly on my arm.

"Hi." The new boy waved to me shyly.

"Um, what do you want? I don't have time, I have to get home." I glanced over at the school doors.

"I just wanted to say that you look nice today." He replied with a warm smile. He stuck his hands into his jean pockets, his tattered windbreaker seeming to look like it had been through hell and back again.

"Oh, thanks. I guess?" I raised an eyebrow at him, confused with the sudden compliment.

"I mean, I want you to be my girl." He replied.

"Sorry, but I'm not some kind of property. And I'm taken." I smiled and began walking for the doors again.

"Wait!" The boy grabbed my arm, stopping me. I turned to him, giving him the evil eye.

"Well I don't care for you, now let me go!" I shouted. I ripped away from the new boy's grip and ran away from the school doors. I wished Sam were here, he would probably sucker punch the guy square in the nose. But he wasn't.

Which stunk since he is basically my body guard. I ran all the way home, shaken up by the encounter with the new boy.