Shattered

Today Sam was acting weird with me. As if he were keeping something from me. Finally, during Social Studies today I sent a note to him. The note read:

Why are you acting like you're keeping a secret with me? ~ Gwen

A note came back in the bold printing letters of Sam's handwriting.

Why are you hanging out with that boy? ~ Sam

I rolled my eyes. I was beginning to write an answer to Sam'm's note, but the teacher caught me and warned me to not do it again. I needed to tell Samson that I wasn't hanging out with Locke; that he just took me to my ice skating tournament, that was all. Plus, how did he even find out? I just couldn't shake the feeling Sam was spying on me. I thought he trusted me.

I marched up to Sam's locker where he was grabbing his books. Sam looked at me and smiled, then asked, "What?" I stared at him wide eyed then replied,

"We're you spying on me yesterday?"

"Look, Gwen," Sam's expression turned from the warm smile he seemed to always have to a grim look, "I know that you feel like I don't trust you. But I do; it's just that I don't trust that shady new guy." Sam grumbled.

"Well you better start to like him, because I'm hanging out with him now. In fact, he hung out with me just yesterday at my house." I lied. It was a stupid statement, but I was just so angry with Sam that I wanted to see him get jealous.

"What?" Sam's tone was now more serious. I nodded.

"Yeah, my parents liked him too." I started to think Sam had the idea I was cheating on him or something, but I couldn't stop. It just came out of my mouth without me even thinking. He did think I was hanging out with Locke. I really didn't care that much for that guy, he seemed like a nice dude and all, but I just couldn't be friends with him. Samson wouldn't enjoy me hanging out with a guy who flirted with me in the first week of meeting me. And I don't blame Samson.

Sam's face became red with anger. He stormed off without another word with me. I turned around on my heel and walked in triumph to the front school doors. But stopped, then it hit me, he wasn't going to let all his anger out on me. He was going to let his anger out on Locke. I ran after him, but by then he was already outside on the football field where Locke was.

Sam came running up to a where Locke was on the bleachers. The jock fell on top of him and started throwing punches. Screaming things like, "How dare you steal my girlfriend!" or "You'll pay for what you've done!"

Locke, on the other hand, had no idea what he was talking about. All he knew was that the star quarterback was fighting him. Locke, being at least 20 pounds lighter than Sam, wiggled his way out of the boy's grip. He began to crawl down the bleachers, with Sam was now hot on his trail. Sam jumped and grabbed hold of Locke. The two began to fight once more.

I was now on the other side of the field where the fight was occurring. I ran up to the bleachers, went up to the fight, and began to try and pry off Samson off from Locke. That backfired horrendously, however, and soon I found myself hitting the bleachers a good five feet away from them. I groaned as a hot spike grew in my cheek.

I touched it and searing pain covered my cheek as Sam's face paled and the boys' fighting came to a stop, the two looking at me. Sam's face was now ghostly pale as his busted lip dripped with blood. "I-I'm so sorry..." He uttered.

Soon teachers arrived on the scene and saw the fight. They promptly hauled the three of us to the school principal office.

* * *

Locke was in the principle's office along with his dad. Which left Sam and me sitting outside waiting for our turn to be yelled at and most likely suspended. We kept silent for the longest time, Sam now had an ice pack that he held to his busted lip thanks to the school nurse. "I'm so sorry." He muttered again, this being the tenth time he had said it to me.

While in all of the chaos, Sam's hand had accidentally connected with my face, which left me a bruise on my cheek and an aching back from hitting the bleachers. "Sam, it's fine," I said through gritted teeth, because opening my jaw at the moment would most likely make me want to tear up even more from the pain.

Sam sighed, still not believing me. After a few moments, he finally broke the awkward silence between us, "Why?"

"Why what?" I asked back.

"Why did you cheat on me?" He looked into my eyes intently. I snorted. Sam offered a crooked smile at my snort. I didn't know why, but he had always said he thought my snort was cute. I honestly hated it.

"I never cheated on you," I answered. "Locke is just a friend. And I may or may not have lied about him coming over." I murmured the last part. "I mean, how did you know Locke drove me to my tournament?" I asked, trying to shift the subject off of my lie. Sam shrugged.

"Your friend Rhyan she told me." I rolled my eyes at the answer.

"No one was able to take me. Locke was my last resort. It was the only choice I had. The coach was going to kick me off the team next time I missed a tournament." I glanced at Sam. He nodded, now understanding the situation.

"Look, I'm sorry for beating Locke up—"

"You shouldn't be apologizing to me. You should be apologizing to him." Sam looked down at his sneakers.

"Okay, fine." As soon as he said that Locke and his parents came out of the room. Mrs. Berry called Sam into the office, his parents arriving just on time, which left me alone to think. It was really stupid of me to say that Locke had come over to my house last night. Why would I say that? It doesn't even sound like me.

Why was it that Locke made Sam nervous for some reason? Okay, okay, maybe Locke did flirt with me the first week here. I did understand that. But that didn't mean to go off and beat people up, all for a girlfriend.

All for me.

I still couldn't ever forgive Sam for what ha had done. But I also couldn't ever forgive myself for what I had done; for lying to my boyfriend about a boy I just met; for getting everyone in this mess just for my idiocy. I'd be surprised Sam would forgive me for what I've done to him.