Good ol' Diner

Locke parked in the local Flint's Diner and we stepped out of the car. We made our way inside the warm, bustling restaurant. We were greeted by a waitress that showed us to our table. She took our drink orders and walked off. Locke was the first one to break the silence between us. "I'm assuming that Gwen is just a nickname, am I right?"

I nodded. "My real name is Gwendolyn, but I don't want to be called by that."

"Why not? It's a really pretty name."

I shrugged my soaking wet shoulders and replied, "The name brings back too many old memories."

Locke raised an eyebrow at me, but didn't push any further. "Why exactly did you come to Portsworth, Locke? Was it a job relocation? Family? Or something else?"

He sighed. "My dad was in the military, he got relocated from base-to-base every six months or so."

"You say that in past tense."

"Well, things changed. He left the army and decided to settle down in his hometown, here. I'm not sure how long we'll stay here, but one thing is for sure, he's liking it so far." Locke was sitting across from me in the booth that we were seated in. Locke had his arms placed on the table and he seemed to be engaged in the conversation so far.

Soon the waitress came by and gave us our drinks. She asked for our orders, but we hadn't decided yet. She nodded and gave us more time to decipher through all of the burgers.

"Gwen, are you okay?"

"How would I be 'okay'? I almost died."

"Right, stupid question." Locke nodded and began looking at the menu.

"Yeah that's a really stupid question, Locke." I replied with my best little kid impression. A crooked smile appeared on Locke's lips before the waitress returned. This was a really eager waitress.

"We're ready to order." Locke looked up at our waitress, Diana.

Diana nodded and took out her notepad and pen.

+ + +

As the sunset's colors began to paint the inside of the diner, I couldn't help but laugh hysterically at Locke who was nailing a Mr. Conconi impression.

"Kids! Shut up and listen to my boring lectures on how to seal an envelope!" Locke pinched the bridge of his nose, making his voice come out nasally.

"Wow," I choked through the uncontrollable laughs, "you are spot on with Mr. Ancient there."

"Thanks, I practice everyday in the mirror." Locke replied. Diana came by our table and told us that they were closing up shop for the day. I raised an eyebrow at Locke.

"How dare you keep me hostage in here for hours on end! And you were torturing me with nightmares about our Language Arts teacher!" I pointed to him accusingly. He chuckled before pushing my jabbing finger away from his icy blue eyes.

"Me? I would never!" He gasped, trying to act like he was truly hurt. Trying. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Um, sorry to interrupt your little date and all, but we're closing. So leave." Diana groaned, a lock of gray hair falling out of her messy bun.

"Oh, we're not on a date." Locke and I replied together. I let out an awkward laugh.

Diana rolled her eyes. "You guys sure are acting like you're on a date. Now please, would you leave?"

"Oh, okay..." I left the booth and headed for the diner exit. Locke followed behind me. We arrived outside of the long blue building and Locke turned to me.

"Do you what a ride?" He asked.

I shook my head and looked around the parking lot. "No thank you, my house is just down the street."

Locke nodded and headed for his car. "Um, hey, Locke?" I called to him. He looked at me and I managed to say, "Thank you, for everything. I don't know where I'd be right now if it wasn't for you."

Locke simply smiled and nodded. "Definitely not alive, that's for sure." He replied and walked up to me. He then brushed back a stray piece of my fiery red hair and began leaning in for a kiss. I placed my fingers between my lips and his.

"What are you doing?" I asked, clearly stunned by what he was trying on me.

"Oh," Locke pulled back, "I-I just thought—"

"What? That I was magically going to fall head-over-heels for you just like that?" I narrowed my eyes at him. "Great, you just ruined the whole thing that we had going."

"Really? The entire thing?"

"Yes, and now I'm definitely not going to kiss you."

"You were thinking about kissing me, eh?" A smirk played across his lips. I shook my head and frowned at him before starting for my house.

A car engine croaked to life behind me, and Locke's car drove past me within minutes. We didn't speak another word the entire night.