Chapter Twenty

Vincent sat lazily on the chair outside of the room where Zak was kept, carefully cleaning his Sword of Shadows with an oil-dipped cloth. Only the thick substance of oil was able to cleanse the dirt, blood, and/or other bodily fluids, for any other material or liquid would dissipate once it touches the poison.

He heard a muffled scream come from the room, and he yelled at the captive king. "Shut up!"

There was a small whine, then silence. Huffing, Vincent sat back down and resumed cleaning his sword.

The pitter-patter of feet alerted Vincent his time was up for guard duty.

"'Bout time," he told the person who came to replace him. "I've been here for what felt like forever."

"Sorry," the man said. "But I'll take it from here."

"I'm aware." The boy shot one final disgusted glance at the man before hefting his sword and stalking away.

That man was apparently named Neon, or at least that's what he told the original three his 'code name' was. He usually wore a crisp suit with a yellow tie, and some sort of glasses that blocked out his eyes. He also had a small penguin plushie that sat atop his shoulder most of the time, and no one but him knew why he liked it there. They had recruited him along with three other of Zak's former warriors who were exiled for treason.

Vincent walked into the main room, where everyone but Neon sat drinking from a glass filled with a pinkish-red liquid. It was apparently alcoholic, as the three newest members were laughing drunkenly and had unfocused eyes. The least intoxicated person, Mega, sat unmoving and watching with a stern gaze.

How is Skeppy? He wrote down as Vincent sat next to him and poured himself his own drink. Skeppy was the code name they used when talking about the young king. Zelk has come up with it almost immediately, and the Finisver speculated he'd been saving it for this day.

"Good, screamed a bit though." He paused to take a sip from his glass, nearly spitting out the liquid in distaste. Who knew alcohol tasted like this?

Mega nodded, turning back to the newest "recruits". The first one, Luke, had told them his name, because apparently he "had nothing to lose if someone found him". He had a sweet tooth, and even now could be seen popping a sweet berry into his mouth between sips of the foul spirit.

The second one, whom had told them they were called Hamodi, was in the middle, the least drunk of the three, though that wasn't saying a lot. It was a mystery if Hamodi was their real name or their code name, and none of them bothered to ask.

Finally, Kobuto was the last one, and he was nothing special, just your everyday warrior keen on murdering his king. Right now they argued about who would get to kill Zak, though they dissolved into giggles as soon as they said "Skeppy".

Not like they get a say, Mega wrote. They've been here for a day, none of them are getting their hands on him before I do.

"Aww, uncute mute wants to get wevenge on Skeppy," Zelk called out from the other end of the table. He swished around his drink lazily, and by the tone of his jab against Mega, he was as tipsy as the others.

Mega narrowed his eyes, gripping the tip of his spear as if he wanted to plunge it into the leopard's forehead. With a defeated sigh, he let go and started writing again.

Ignore him. God knows he's the worst when drunk. I want my hands around his neck because even though I got my job because of him, he was terrible when I was working for him. I can't help not talking! But does he care? Nooooo. The only thing stopping me from killing him right now is your proposal.

a6d shrugged. His proposal was that if his plan of kidnapping Zak worked, they would use him to blackmail Dave and get control over two kingdoms. He knew it would work, no doubt. It's no secret Dave loves him.

He heard a loud scream coming from where Zak was kept, and the click of his cell door opening. Cries came out as he heard a thud, then there was silence.

I swear, if that oaf managed to kill him, Mega wrote angrily. I'll be back.

Vincent watched the man stand up and storm to Neon, taking the mute's glass and dumping it into the nearest pitcher. He could already tell he'd be no use intoxicated, and he was starting to like his sarcasm and spite. Truly a good ally.

And now, as he watched the four others start up a drinking song, he realized the only way he could get Dave dead was with Mega.

And he was keen on doing so, and soon.