Chapter Fourteen

Five days later, Dave woke up before the sun, grabbing his clothes hurriedly and put them on as quick as possible, sprinting to the stables and finding Brick already saddled. Zak and him had been sending letters every day, and he could finally go to Adamantem and finalize their kingdom merge. Barely suppressing a smile, he hooked his leg over his horse and snapped the reins.

Brick started at a trot, then galloped as the ran across Porcus territory. With the wind blowing at a steady pace, they had a peaceful ride to Adamantem, where they would make the merge.

He suppressed a groan as he saw other carriages and horses in the stables. Of course other monarchs would be here, this merge could end very bad if they were given too much power.

He patted Brick's head, getting off his back and putting him in an empty stall next to a russet horse with grey splotches. A Strider. The Stridors are well-known for their cavalry, and they bred horses that can walk on lava, fire, and magma without a burn. However, they looked very peculiar, with cramped bodies, 2 long, spindly legs, a long mouth, and only a couple wisps of white hair as their mane. This one was turning blue, as it was away from its natural habitat of lava pools.

Brick huffed uneasily, eyeing the Strider warily. It gave a chirp-groan in return, its large, glassy eyes staring straight at Dave. Clearing his throat, he pet Brick and walked into the castle.

He was immediately met by Zak, who was hurriedly running through the halls, adjusting his crown. He barreled into the pig, and they nearly went sprawling.

"Gah-" Zak exclaimed. He rubbed his chest, grinning as he saw Dave. "Hi! You're just in time. The others are getting restless." He glanced back, grabbing Dave by the hand and leading him towards a room.

It looked to be his dining hall, where all the royalties were seated. Servants whizzed around, pouring drinks and giving small chuckles here and there to jokes the royalty told. Dave sat next to Zak, sandwiched between the diamond king and one of his worst enemies.

The king of the Stridors, Squid, or Kid as a nickname. He had dark skin, and was dressed in a crisp suit with a rose pinned on his lapel. He gave a light-hearted clap on the shoulder to Dave, and chortled.

"Hey, pig boy! How's the potatoes faring?"

Ah, yes. The ever-famous 'potato war'. The two kingdoms had been battling for the spot of most potatoes farmed, and Porcus was currently holding that title. Squid seemed cool about the ordeal, but Dave knew he was bitter that he had lost his ranking.

"Pretty good," Dave replied. "Though some have been poisoned. Which reminds me, you should keep an eye out for three men: one Finisver boy, black hair and brown eyes, leopard-man hybrid with a weird fashion sense, and a male with a dark birthmark on the right side of his face."

Squid nodded, pulling out a silk handkerchief with a detailed embroidery of a woman. It was no secret the king was gifted in the arts, and he was most definitely flashing his expertise at the moment. He wiped his face and tossed the silk to Dave.

"That one's on me," he stated, leaning back. "Got more at home. Keep it."

Dave nodded, slipping it into his pocket and reminding himself to burn it when he got home.

Zak cleared his throat next to him, and the two stopped conversing, leaning closer to hear the boy speak.

"Ah. Well, a-as you all know..." Zak started, wiping his hands on his trousers. "The Adamas w-would like to merge with Porcus...making a new bond between the Old Nether and Old End."

"And why would you like to do this?" Kid asked innocently, propping an elbow onto the table.

"Cause they can't get each other out of their head?" A voice called from down the table. Dave narrowed his eyes angrily as some royalty chuckled.

"Very funny, Deo," a man said. King Phil of Everdalia. He tipped back his green fisherman's hat, giving a small wave to Dave.

"Alright, so is it a deal?" Dave said, getting impatient. He dropped his hand underneath the table, his other tapping on the blue-clothed wood.

"Well, I don't see why not," Astelic, queen of Beadwar. The king was not present, but she folded her hands on the table, her eyes lightening. "We could use the allies between the two sections. You are all at each other's throats all the time, we could use the peace." She raised an eyebrow, daring the others to question her.

Squid leaned back, throwing his hands up in the air. "I don't mind. What's the harm in some peace now and then?"

The others nodded their agreement, and Dave let out a soft sigh of relief.

"Well then, would you all like to stay a bit more?" Zak said. "I have refreshments!"

Dave nodded, curling his fingertips. The others murmured, "Sure".

As the monarchs stood up and started mingling, Dave felt a squeeze on his hand and a saw a smile from Zak before he was lost in the crowd.