TWENTY THREE- RECKLESS

A/N: Guys! Thank you so much for 7.7K reads! I'm so proud of how far this story has come and I'm so so so happy you guys are liking it! it means the world to me :) Also, due to the fact that I'm going to be updating the older chapters, I'll be slower to publish new ones. I appreciate your patience!

--

[ZARA'S POV]

"What the hell happened here?"

I look behind me, seeing a visibly angry blonde woman. Fists clenches, face scrunched, the whole shebang. "I'm sorry. Who are you?"

"I'll ask you again," she says lowly. "What happened here?"

"Here as in the planet or here as in the building, though it's the same th-"

The woman quickly comes at me and holds me against a wall, using considerable strength. I act like I'm helpless, maybe I'd get more information that way. Should she actually try and hurt me though, that would be a different story. I don't think she'd get too far.

She has a fist raised at me, and I raise my eyebrows as glowing orange particles formed an aura around her limb. Impressive.

Impressive enough for me to want her off me. 

I pushed her back with more force than she was expecting, and as she stumbled back I hit her with a bolt of lightning. Not enough to knock her out, but enough to put her on her ass. 

"You wanna try that again?" I asked, standing over her. I noticed what she was wearing, it was a Kree design, but the black and turqouse was replaced with blue and red. Peculiar. 

She raised both fists this time, and I ran to the corner of the room, easily evading her attack. The woman seemed confused as I'd disappeared from right in front of her, vanished with out a trace. 

"Over here."

She waisted no time trying to attack me again, and the bright beams she shot did have considerable speed. 

I ran behind her again. "Listen, Starfire. I've had a long week. Like Eugene O'Niell long. So surrender now, and we can call this cool."

She turned around again but this time didn't attack. She stood in front of me with a rather upset expression, her hands still glowing a bright orange hue. 

I unsheathed my swords. "Or, we can fight."

As she runs at me, I step to the side, and she crashes into the wall, opening a cut on her forehead. I go back to her and push one of my swords against her neck, pushing my other sword against her waist. I'm not trying to kill her, not yet at least. 

"How about you tell me who you are," I bargain as the woman looks down at me with a stubborn expression. She attaches a hand to my side, and it seems to heat up in a millisecond, burning me and making me let go. "Motherfuc-" 

As I'm examine the burn, she hits me with a blast, knocking me to the ground. I groan in pain as I can taste blood in my mouth and feel it drip down the back of my head. 

The next thing I know she's on top of me, with the same expression and raised fist. 

"And Fury says I'm the one with anger issues," I say as I hook my leg around hers and flip us over.  She looks at me, with a different expression this time.

"Fury? You know Nick Fury?" she asks, releasing her grasp on my arm.

She knows Nick Fury? 

"We... may have met," I say, confused. "I'm sorry. Who are you?"

"Carol..." she says, even more confused than I am. "Carol Danvers."

A lightbulb goes off in my brain as I let her go and we both stand up. Carol Danvers. I remember Fury mentioning a Carol Danvers. Tell me one thing, though, he said. Do you know a Vers? Or Carol Danvers? 

"Right. You're Fury's Kree friend. Vers."

She side-eyed me. "Not Vers. Carol. And I told him not to tell anyone about me."

I return my swords to there proper place on my back. "Yeah, well, don't be offended. Fury told me all of his deepest secrets."

"I find that hard to believe," she said, the light in her hands fading out. "How is he?"

"Probably the most paranoid man I've ever met."

"Well, it's nice to see he hasn't changed."

I smile as I extend my hand. "I'm Zara."

Carol grabbed my hand, and didn't burn me this time. "You don't happen to have a ride off this place, have you? Totalled my Manticore and the nearest jump point is too far away for me to fly."  

"How do you manage to total a Manticore? Those things are indestructible."

"Well, not when you're fighting a Ravager army."

I glare at her with a smirk, trying to figure out who exactly Carol Danvers is. "Yeah, I might have an empty chair on my ship."