35/ Taking Chances

Start from the beginning

"Fred and I talked this morning and he offered me a spot as projectleader of one of our biggest and most important clients." A small but proud smile tugged on his lips.

"Honey, that is wonderful!" said Alice immediately, smiling up at him.

But the smile on his face faded quickly. The bad news he had yet to tell.

"Aren't you happy?" She asked confused, as she grabbed his hand and intertwined their fingers.

"I am... but the thing is... it's in L.A. I would have to move there for a year." He said quietly, avoiding looking into their eyes.

Her hand involuntarily slipped out of his own.

"Oh, wow... L.A. How do you feel about that?" She asked him softly, not wanting to shift the attention to herself and the way her heart dropped.

"That's actually the question I wanted to ask you guys." He said honestly, finally looking up to meet his kids' and Alice's eyes.

"Honestly, Dad... I am very happy for you but I don't think JB and I can move there." Jughead brought in, immediately feeling a little guilty.

"I won't expect that from you guys. You could stay here." FP knew that it would be crazy for his kids to move to the other side of the country. Besides, legally Jellybean couldn't.

"Al? What do you think?" He turned to his girlfriend, who's expression he couldn't read.

Alice swallowed, but got her act together real quick. She had to keep reminding herself that this wasn't about her. She knew what would happen if she wasn't supportive.

"I am very proud of you and if you want to go I'll support that 100%." She said sweetly, once again grabbing his hand and stroking her thumb over his knuckles.

"You do?" He said surprised, as he had expected to object. Maybe he even hoped that she would.

"I want you to pursue your dreams. If this is one of them, then yes." She softly grabbed his face and planted a kiss on his lips, not just to show him how proud she was, but just as much so he couldn't see the sadness in her eyes.

**

Although Alice had told him she was on board, something didn't feel right about it. FP wasn't even sure if he wanted for her to ask him to stay so he'd have a way out, or that he really didn't believe her. The thought of her not caring too much about him leaving for so long was breaking his heart.

So, when they got ready for bed, just the two of them, he decided to ask about it once more.

"Babe, are you really okay with the possibilty that I might be in L.A. for a year? Or were you just trying to stay positive because Fred and the kids were there?" He asked her softly, turning her around by gently placing his hands on her hips.

Alice froze for a second, but quickly reminded herself that she needed to keep up this act. This isn't about you, Alice. You'll lose him if you ask him to stay. She turned around with a sweet smile on her face.

"Honey, I meant what I said. I want you to be able to follow your dreams. I don't want to be the one holding you back. But honestely? I will miss you like crazy." She fiddled with the collar of his t-shirt as her eyes glossed over.

"I will miss you, too. The thought of leaving everyone behind here for twelve months breaks my heart." He said quietly, trying his hardest not to cry.

"But you know, every four weeks I have a long weekend at home." He smiled a little, even when it was forced.

"So, we can spend time together like twelve times this year?" Alice said sadly, and she could feel her own heart ache.