33/ Isn't She Lovely?

Start from the beginning

"Betty makes my boy very happy. They are adorable together." added Fred with a sweet smile. He had raised his boy to be a gentleman, so there was no doubt in his mind that he treated the girl next door with respect.

"I think we're all doing better since Al moved in. Don't we?" FP kissed her cheek and smiled to himself.

"Definitely. You're a great friend, Smith. And I love your daughters and the jou they bring just as much." Fred placed his hand on the shoulder opposite where FP's head was.

"We're so lucky to have met you two." Alice's eyes glossed over as she realized that for the first time in too many years, she was truly happy.

**

The next morning everyone was gathering in the hall of the cabin, to prepare themselves for the plans Alice had thoughtfully put into a schedule. First stop was the mall to do some gift shopping.

"Everyone ready to go to the city? Don't forget your scarfs and gloves, it's cold outside!" Alice once again felt comfortable in her role of captain, which everybody gladly made her do.

"Mom, I am not feeling well." Polly walked over to her mother with both her hands on her growing baby bump. And though an uncomfortable feeling and side effects weren't uncommon in this stage of pregnancy, it still worried Alice.

"Honey, what's going on?" She asked her daughter, her eyes full of concern.

"Cramps. Nothing serious, I just don't think I'll be able to come with you." She felt a bit guilty about bailing on the first activity of the trip, but she was afraid she'd only be more of a burden if she'd join.

"I'll stay with you, baby." Sweet Pea made an attempt to shrug off his coat, but Polly interrupted him.

"No, you looked forward going here even more than all of us together. I want you to go." She assured them, as she shot him a sweet smile.

"Doesn't matter, I am not letting you alone if you're feeling like this." He said firmly.

"It's nothing serious, I want you to go and have fun for the both of us." Polly said sweetly, stroking his cheek as she spoke.

He frowned slightly, still not convinced by her words.

"Sweetie, don't worry, I'll be fine. I'll take a nap and drink some tea around the fire place." She promised him, and the look in her eyes gave him the last nudge. He softly kissed her forehead.

"Too bad you won't be joining us, honey." Alice pouted, grabbing both her hands.

"You sure you don't need someone to stay with you?" Betty had overheard them and chimed in, as she as just as worried about her sister.

"Positive. I only need to rest, doctors order." She said once again. There was no way she wanted someone to skip going shopping only to hang out with her when she was most likely going to nap anyway.

**
Alice had wrapped her scarf around her neck when FP came close to her and leant in to whisper something.

"Al, I'll stay with Polly." He said quietly.

"That's sweet of you to offer, babe. But if someone has to stay with her it should be me. You go." She give him a quick kiss and wanted to get out of her coat again, as she didn't want either Sweet Pea or FP sacrificing their day when they had never been in Vermont before.

Before she could shrug out of her jacket, FP held her back.

"Honestly, I didn't meant it just for her. For me, too. I am not really feeling it. I think I wanna stay home." He confessed, his cheeks blushing heavily.