18/ The Other Woman

Comenzar desde el principio

FP believed he didn't seem to be catching on, but his change in behavior didn't go unnoticed by Jughead.

"It's a nice surprise, right? You don't look very happy." Jughead's voice had turned soft as he grew more concerend about his fathers wellbeing.

He thought he was doing better but maybe it had been a lucky moment when he had seen him the weekend he was there.

"Believe me Jug, I am. Promise." FP hugged his son tightly, and shot him a genuine smile. He was happy about seeing his kids, it was his ex-girlfriend that he wasn't to excited to see.

"Here, you must be craving a coffee after your trip." Fred handed Jughead mug with fresh brew. The boy smiled thankfully and took a sip.

"Sorry Fred, I should have called you first. Is it okay if we stay a weekend?"

Suddenly he realized that when planning to stop by, they had never considered calling him. After all it was his apartment, and one guest staying over was a different story than three.

"Only because it's you, Jughead." Fred winked playfully. The two shared a smile.

"FP, I am going to be honest with you. We're here because I wanted to have a talk with you." Gladys suddenly opened the conversation.

She wasn't going to beat around the bush. They had driven up there for a reason. FP blinked, and waited for her to continue.

"I am willing to give you a second chance. Jughead has tried to tell me several times now that you have changed for the better... and seeing you now makes me believe him." The faintest of smiled tugged on her lips, almost invisible to the naked eye.

FP fell silent, waiting for her to ramble the terms and conditions. There came nothing.

"Wait, are you serious? You want the reunite the family?" His voice sounded so hopeful that when Fred looked at him, his heart broke a little.

"Yes. So, I am asking you to come back to Toledo with us when we leave on Sunday."

There it was. The ultimatum. It was all or nothing, like it always had to he.

What was he even supposed to say? Having both his kids in his life was all he would ever dream of, but at the same time he had so many good things in his life right now.... And Alice. What was he going to do about his feelings if he would be living in Toledo with the mother of his children?

"Wow, Gladys... that's a big decision to make in two days." FP sputtered nervously. Gladys quickly grew impatient with him.

"Weren't you the one who begged me to stay with you for the kid's sake?" She crossed her arms, recalling the moment she had told him to leave. Before he had the chance to answer, Gladys had her conclusions ready.

"Or are you going to bail, again? Not that they are used to anything different." A low scoff escaped her mouth.

The concern on Jughead's face was growing more and more. This isn't what he had meant when he asked his mother to come visit his dad. He wasn't the only one worrying, as he heard his fathers best friend speak up.

"Wait a second, Gladys. FP has a job here. You are being unreasonable." He brought in to stick up for FP, who had remained silent.