7/ Stupid Mistake

Start from the beginning

"I've been missing you a lot these last weeks." He confessed a little quiet, his cheeks flushing a little.

Alice wasn't sure whether to believe his words, but the look in his eyes told her that he was speaking the truth. But why? They had been going through the divorce for so long, why would he show up months after peace had returned?

"Okay, way to be straight forward." Alice was a little caught of guard and swallowed the lump in her throat.

She wished words like that wouldn't affect her anymore, but being lonely in a new town with someone so familiar standing in front of her... it did more to her than she wanted to.

"Alice, we've been together for fifteen years, I think we don't have to beat around the bush with each other. Being apart has been killing me." Hal pleaded, the desperation noticeable in his eyes.

She felt her knees getting weak. Though she was very much aware of the fact that Hal knew this was her soft spot, she couldn't stop the warm glow that spread through her body.

"It has?" She asked quietly, since she needed to confirmation that he was indeed meaning every word he said.

"Yeah, I've missed you and our daughters like crazy." A soft smile appeared on his face and his eyes twinkled a little. It was all that was needed for Alice's walls to break down.

"I've been thinking about us, too." She said softly, giving him a small smile that he gladly returned.

Before Hal could comment, the door across the hall opened, revealing FP in his leather jacket. He stopped in his tracks when he saw a man he hadn't seen before standing in front of the door he was on his way to. Alice noticed him immediately and somehow felt the need to explain who was about to enter her house.

"Oh, FP! This is Hal, my ex-husband. He's stopping by." She stuttered a little nervously.

It wasn't as if she didn't realize how this looked like and she for sure didn't want the rumors to spread (especially not to Betty and Polly).

"I see, uh- have fun together." He gave her an awkward smile and made his way to the stairs.

"Are you off to work?" She asked curiously, not wanting him to leave just yet.

"No, I was craving a Pop's milkshake, so." He answered, a hint of blush on his cheeks.

Why would he think that taking out a newly divorced woman for milkshakes was a good idea, when it looked like she wasn't detached form her husband completely? They were just friends, but he felt a bit uneasy.

"Next time I will go with you, promise." She smiled at him, knowing instantly that he was about to ask her to join.

"Yeah, cool. Nice to meet you, Hal." He gave the man a genuine nod.

"Nice to meet you, too." Hal nodded back, a little less sincere than FP had done.

He took the hint and left down the stairs, leaving the ex-couple all by themselves again. Alice invited him in, mostly in order to avoid another awkward conversation if Fred came into the hall, too.

"Is that your neighbor?" Hal asked a little suspicious. He had seen the look on FP's face but hadn't quite figured out on how to read it.

"He is, he moved in with his best friend Fred. They gave us a very warm welcome here." Alice smiled, recalling the memory.

It was crazy how they had grown to be such good friends in only two months. It had been the greatest blessing to adjust to life in Riverdale.

"I can see that." Hal huffed a little. Alice turned around on her heel and raised her eye-brow dangerously high.