Chapter 72

Amber roughly yanked the sheets off of the bed. She was eager and determined now. Why hadn't she thought of this before?

She made sure to lock her bedroom door before she began to tie the sheets together to create a rope-like product.

It sucked that it was so cold outside, but if she dressed appropriately, she should be okay. But where would she go? It was a good thing that it wasn't so cold that she could freeze, but there were other issues: How much food would she need? A whole lot, but that would be suspicious if she took half the food in the kitchen. She also didn't know this city very well. It would be hard to find specific places.

"Oh well," Amber said to herself after she finished tying the sheets. She tied them as tight as possible and was grateful she was only on the second floor.

She thought about escaping at night, but that seemed risky. Leaving right now, or during the day, wouldn't attract so much attention. It would sound suspicious if Luna heard anything at night.

Amber bolted out of her room and made her way to the kitchen. Luckily, no one was in there. She shoved some bread and apples up her shirt and slid granola bars in her back pockets. She then casually took a box of crackers and several bananas. She hoped that would be enough.

She left the kitchen and ignored the odd looks she was getting from strangers in the house. She turned her nose up at them all, and made her way to her room. She was stopped, though, by a woman at the bottom staircase.

She put a hand on Amber's chest and Amber gasped before looking up at her. Her blond hair was wrapped into a high bun and she had a long neck. Her eyes were a mixture of grey and pink; symbolizing she was a family member. That only freaked Amber out more. This woman was related to her. Amber wondered why she herself had never seen the pink in her eyes.

"What is all this?" The woman asked with a wiggle of her finger to point at what she held in her hands.

"Uh...I'm having a snack."

"A snack?" She asked. "That's a very large abundance of food for a snack."

Amber glared up at her. What was her deal? Why did she care? Amber was too afraid to give her attitude because she was a full vampire as were all the other strangers who were in the same vicinity.

"It's not that much," Amber said much more calmly than she felt. Did the woman know about the other food she held?

The vampire snarled down at her, and Amber took a startled step back. Before anything else could happen, the woman suddenly knocked the food from her hands and lifted her sweater to allow the food she hid in there to drop to the floor. Amber thought she was finished, but then she fiercely turned Amber around and Amber felt her yanking out all the bars from her pockets. She was then roughly turned back to face her.

Amber was shocked. She didn't know how she knew exactly were all the food had been. But now she looked dumb, standing there with the food surrounding her feet.

The woman kept a hard glare on her, and Amber let out a nervous laugh as she didn't know what else to do. She needed that food!

"What are you up to?" The woman asked bitterly.

Amber wanted to ask why she cared, but figured that wouldn't be the best idea. "I...nothing!"

The woman's eyes narrowed even more, and Amber didn't know where this was headed. She was so close to getting away with this!

She slowly bent down to pick up the food, determined to make it to her room. She kept her eyes on the woman as she collected the food from off the floor.