Chapter 21

Luna proceeded to drag Amber into her bedroom. She slammed the door behind them and finally let Amber go.

Amber brushed herself off and watched as Luna darted over to her desk and pulled out a folder. She looked extremely determined as she flipped through the pages. She finally dug out a piece of paper and walked Amber's way.

She smirked to herself and held it up for Amber to see. Amber narrowed her eyes. "What is this?" She didn't even bother reading it before she asked.

"It's proof that I legally own you, deary," Luna told her bitterly.

Amber grabbed the paper roughly from Luna's hands and flashed her a glare before scanning over the paper.

She unfortunately found her to be true. It was a document making Amber's adoption legal. And there; at the bottom of the page, was her father's signature.

Amber was so shocked she was frozen. She did not move nor speak.

He would not do such a thing. This had to be forged. But it had all his information added. Where her mother was to sign, it noted of her disappearance.

"How..." was the only word that barley even escaped Amber's lips.

"How could he do this to you?" Luna finished for her as she slid the paper out of Amber's grasp.

Still frozen, Amber let her take the paper and stared ahead as if it were still there before her.

"The answer is not too complicated. He just doesn't care about you. Very simple."

As she spoke, Amber slowly began to cry.

She thought of when he said he was going to get her in a year. Maybe this was only temporary and he'd explain it all once they were back to their normal lives again. How long had she been here?

"What day is it?" Amber asked aloud.

"July second," Luna informed  Amber.

She'd been here for a little over a month. She was about to let out a loud groan of anger before Luna spoke.

"And that reminds me," she said as she walked back to put the paper away. "We always have a party on the Fourth of July, here. A..uh, dance." Amber watched as Luna flung her arms up at the word 'dance.' "And I thought, that since you haven't acted too terrible, I should give you the privilege of asking someone to the dance."

"I would have nothing to wear," Amber simply stated with a hushed voice. She was still dazed about the paper she had just witnessed.

"I'm sure I can find something," Luna assured her as she walked her way. She must have noticed how depressed Amber looked because she let out a sigh and ran her palm along Amber's hair.

"Don't be so upset, dear. At least you enjoyed the times you had with him, eh?"

Amber swallowed down the urge to strangle her. "Can...can I go now?"

She looked up at Luna to see her frowning. "Oh, fine. But I'll be seeing you about this party!"

Amber could not give a shit about her little party. She left Luna's room and let her tears fall as she headed back towards her own room.

She ignored all the family members who stared at her as she was crying and once in her room, she locked the door behind her and curled up on the bed, feeling abandoned and alone.