Chapter 2

**11 years later**

Amber woke to the sound of an obnoxious noise coming not too far from where she lay on her bed.

She rubbed her eyes and once she had come to be fully awake, she discovered the obnoxious noise was coming from her father who was making his way to her bed with a cake in hand while 'singing'.

Amber immediately burst into laughter. "Stop it, dad! You can't sing!"

Her father paused his singing to give her a frown before belting out the rest of the lyrics. He then shoved the cake close to Amber's face.

She in response rolled her eyes and chuckled before blowing out the candles.

It was July second- the first day of summer and Amber's seventeen birthday. Her father always made a bigger deal out of birthdays then Amber thought was necessary. He was so much more ecstatic for them than she was.

The two of them laughed their way downstairs, but Amber was silenced as she came into view of the living room. It was filled with presents! Presents were even stacked on top of each other.

"Dad!" She exclaimed before turning to her father who was attempting an innocent look.

"You're seventeen! It's a big deal!"

"That's what you said last year!" Amber crossed her arms playfully. "And the year before that."

Her father only shook his head and grinned as he shoved her into the mass of presents.

**************************

Several hours later, the two of them were driving back home from getting ice cream. As they pulled up to their house, Amber happened to be looking at her father and watched his face suddenly drop.

Amber then swore he was turning paler than usual. "Uh...Dad? You alright?"

Her dad drove past their house and kept his eyes straight ahead.

Amber turned to peek out the window at their house that was now behind them. What was he doing? Weren't they going home?

"Dad?"

Her father made a sharp turn which caused Amber to bump into the side of the car with a grunt.

He pulled onto the side of the road; now in the neighborhood next to their's.

"Dad. What are you doing?" 

After a pause, her dad finally moved his eyes and Amber almost fell back onto the side of the car again. They were a dark gold. What had happened to them?!

"Duck down," her father said simply. "Hurry!"

She hesitated before doing as told. She crawled down from the seat and stared up at her father as she hid. From what? She had no clue.