"Carlos?" I wondered if he and Amancio had been drinking mead again. 

"Carlos? It's Lucy and Imogen. Wake up, Lady Madeline!" 

*** 

I jolted up in bed, my forehead nearly colliding with that of Lucy's. 

Realizing I was dreaming, I slapped my palm against my face and sighed, embarrassed. 

What sort of dream was that? I cringed internally. Why was I dreaming about kids and futures with Carlos? 

"Were you dreaming about Prince Carlos?" Imogen raised an eyebrow, suspiciously. 

"N-no," I said, a little too quickly. 

"That's besides the point. We have a huge amount of work to do," Lucy shook her head. 

"Wow Lucy, taking over Imogen's job as the control freak?" I raised an eyebrow. 

"I am not a control freak," Imogen narrowed her eyes. 

"To be honest Imogen, you kind of are," Lucy and I exchanged looks. 

"Whatever, today is your last hurrah. Your last chance to prove to Aridia that you're girl they need. And we need you to look stu-nning," Imogen stressed the syllables. 

"Can we postpone looking 'stu-nning' for a few minutes?" I yawned. 

Lucy folded her arms across her chest, "Lady Madeline, you missed The Demi Ball. Do you really want to miss this one as well?" 

Obliging reluctantly, I threw off my duvet. "Hey, me missing The Demi Ball wasn't my fault at all. That crazy Esme locked me in The Ladies' Salon." 

"Well at least you know now not to follow the instructions from random notes slid under your bedroom door," Imogen muttered. 

"I heard that," I narrowed my eyes. 

Yawning, I stared at myself in the mirror. Despite all that I'd been through since the competition started, I was glad to realize I was still the same Madeline. I had the same limp brown hair- yet, not so limp thanks to Lucy's talents. I still had my dull eyes and average features. I had gained some sort of weight but I definitely didn't look like Ashley or Esme. 

Which made me feel good. At least I still had the things that made me different, that made me Madeline. 

"What are you thinking about?"Imogen came up behind me, tucking a strand of hair behind my hair. 

I shook my head, clearing away my thoughts. "Oh, nothing. Just thinking about the fact that this is the last ball, the last event before all this is over." 

"Tell me about it, to think in a few weeks, Aridia will have a new Princess and eventually- a new Queen," Lucy chimed in. 

"Just praying to the gods that Prince Carlos doesn't choose Lady Esme. She'll make our lives a living hell," Imogen sighed. 

"I'm sure she'd redecorate the palace- make everything pink and glittery," I giggled. 

"Ugh, I'm dreading it already," Lucy groaned. 

Before anyone could continue the conversation, there was a knock on the door. 

"I'll get it," Imogen said, walking towards the door. 

Imogen squealed as she held up a black garment bag, closing the door. 

"Is it what I think it is?" Lucy whispered in anticipation.