50

"What do you mean she's gone? She can't just be

"What do you mean she's gone? She can't just be...gone," Esme muttered, pacing the palace's throne room where we were called for a briefing. 

I had my arm round Fiona, who trembled with fear. I definitely didn't like Ashley but I felt horrible. I couldn't imagine what she must feel like- to have her father murdered and then her county taken over by rebels. 

"You can't expect her to just stay in the competition when her father is dead, Esme," Fiona shook her head. 

"I don't understand any of this. Who are The Dark Lords?" Katherine's brows were furrowed in confusion. 

"They're an anti-monarchist rebel group," I said. 

"I don't understand...any of this. Where's Prince Carlos?" Esme demanded. 

"His Royal Highness, Prince Carlos of Aridia," The butler announced as Carlos walked into the throne room. He looked like a mess, dark circles under his eyes and messy hair. 

"Prince Carlos, what's going on?" Esme asked, her voice going 2 octaves higher than usual. 

"Ladies, unfortunately there's some bad news. Lady Ashley has been forced to drop out of the competition, given the circumstances in Longdale. Unfortunately, this...situation hasn't only occurred in Longdale but many other villages, towns and counties," Carlos started off. 

"But...who's doing this? Why would someone want to kill nobles and take over counties?" Lady Isadora asked. 

"They're a group of rebels called The Dark Lords. At first we thought they were just a small group- some vandalism here and there, but nothing serious. Recent events have forced us to think otherwise." 

"What do they want?" Katherine asked. 

"We're not quite sure of that yet, Lady Katherine," Carlos replied. 

"But we are safe here at the palace right?" Esme looked around nervously. 

I already knew the answer was no. I'd been kidnapped and taken God knows where right within the palace walls. But I couldn't blame Carlos for saying otherwise. 

"That I can assure you of. Security at the palace and at your families' counties and towns have been heightened. What happened to Lord Fulton was very unfortunate but it won't be repeating itself," Carlos affirmed sternly. 

"So the competition will go on as planned," Esme sighed in relief. 

"Seriously Esme?" I shook my head. "That's what you're worried about?" 

 "Unlike you, Madeline, I actually have a chance at this competition," Esme muttered. 

"Yes, Lady Esme," Carlos let out an exasperated breath. "The competition will go on. But rest assured, no harm will come to you or your family members."