Chapter 15 - Preparations In Order

Start from the beginning

'Hey, be nice.'

Immediately all the colour in the Daniel's face drained, and grim look over took him. Y/N noticed that, and grimaced. "So you know about that too huh....? Your mother—" Daniel began, trying to compose himself. But Y/N cut him off.

"I know, I know. Mum had it too." He said, removing his hand from his neck and to his side.

'I'm not an It. I'm a He.'

'Whatever.'

"Something else you neglected to tell me," Y/N growled. The anger rising again. "What's the excuse now? You did it to protect me, hoping it would just pass and not happen to me? Well sorry to disappoint, but it's happened, and I'm the one paying the price."

'It's a small price to-'

'I swear to god I'll rip you out of my neck and shove you in the freezer if you don't stop talking.' Y/N told him in his head. To be honest, it was weird, almost like thought-talking.

'Fine...' Fenrir grumbled.

"Yes." Daniel sighed. Honestly he expected it to just pass on, but as soon as he saw him come home the first year, he knew it was only a matter of time.

"Why didn't you tell me the truth?" Y/N asked him, frowning.

"Because you wouldn't have been able to handle the truth!" Daniel exclaimed, feeling himself tire. It was beginning to exhaust him, to constantly explain himself to people. Even now.

They sat silent for a few minutes, Y/N took his time to look him over, the man looked considerable pale, and his eyes were as wide as hell. "Do you enjoy hiding things from me?" He asked him, honestly. His tone mixed between anger and sadness.

"I don't." Daniel protested, shaking his head. "Everything I did was for you. To keep you safe, like I promised your mother." He said with so much conviction that Y/N thought he'd believe it himself.

'He's not good at keeping promises, is he?' Fenrir outrightly asked.

Y/N snorted (funnily enough, he agreed with him) The bitterness rolling off the end of his tongue perfectly. "Really?" He questioned, his brows furrowed. "I find that hard to believe. You always told me you did the things you did 'cause you wanted to protect me." He breathed in slowly, exhaling almost immediately. "Yet, nothing you've done for me even counts as protection."

Perhaps a harsh analysis. But somewhere in that heart-breaking venousness hiss, was truth. His father was looking out for him, maybe not in the best of ways, but still he did. But from Y/N's point of view, he however, saw differently. It just hurt him, for his father to just walk away whenever he felt like it. It only served to make their relationship as father and son just more distant, and so it got to the point where Y/N simply relied on himself, and that of his friends rather than his own family.

Y/N watched his father closely, his eyes trailing up and down the man's figure. "Let me tell you what I think. You're ashamed of me." Fours words, all said in such hatred that he swore that hell had opened up beneath the earth. "And you continue to feel so... Even now, 'cause I'm the reason she's dead." He exhaled sharply before dipping his head down. "Because you chose not to save her-"

"No!" Father hissed, his teeth gritted and face red, either from anger or hurt. "I had a choice. To risk everything for her, or to do my job, protect the ministry, I chose the latter."