(34) Ex-husband

Nathan chased after her to their doorstep

Nathan chased after her to their doorstep. It was ice cold and the raindrops were frantic he was wet when he followed her to the porch. Rainwater rendered his button-down dress shirt sheer and glued like a second skin.

He stopped several inches from where she started pacing. He clutched on one of the wood posts, just to have something to do with his hands.

Chassie continued walking back and forth, her long dress now clinging tightly to the soft planes and slopes of her body. He could make out the beautiful arch of her back. The ample swell of her chest. Her narrow waist, the impressive flare of her stomach down to her curving hips.

He shakes his head and forcefully dragged his gaze to her head where her upsweep became a soaking mess. The strands of her hair are all over the place, so invitingly disheveled. His fingers itch to touch them. "Chassie, stop."

"No, I can't. I need to clear my head. My thoughts are a mess. I need to," she pants as if she's running out of air.

He captured her wrist in his hand, and she stopped altogether, her teeth nipping hard on her bottom lip.

"Remembering, Nathan. It's driving me crazy. I can't deal with it tonight. Usually I can but," she trailed off and wriggled her wrist out of his hold. "You probably won't understand—"

"Not being able to forget?"

Her mouth opened, only closing back up.

His hand found her elbow, tugging her gently to him. Raindrops on her hair glistened against the porch light. She was so warm in contrary to the frosty gusts of wind. Not very often does he feel the strongest urge to hold her, platonic intentions aside.

"Chassie, I remember everything. I remember everything." His voice came out hoarse. He blames it on the shard in his throat.

Her hazel eyes flicked up.

"I remember playing "wedding" with you and you sister and hoping I get to be the groom this time. I remember seeing you in your white cherry-printed blouse and a dark red skirt, realizing I can't live my life pretending to be your friend. I remember struggling to look away while those perverts openly stared." He swallows.

"I remember trying to prove myself worthy of you to your parents. I remember being ecstatic for finally getting the green-light from your family. I remember kneeling on my knee with a vision of the future only with you. I remember," he let the words trail.

"I remember being the happiest man alive as I see you walking down the aisle toward me." He squeezes his eyes close.

Bad memories haunt.

Good memories hurt.

"Nathan," she whispers.

His eyes opened back up. Only to find her face so close.

Her fingers clamp around his damp shirt. She tugged him down to her. Then her lips were on him – without reluctance, without preliminaries, without warning.

The feel of her was so right it wrecked all his rational thoughts. So utterly familiar it takes his breath away.

He shouldn't. One of them could end up with a heart twice as broken than before.

Chassie's fingers clawed on the front of his shirt, her teeth capturing his bottom lip, scraping it ever so slightly. Ever so sweetly.

He groans.

Fuck it.

It had been years since the last time he kissed her. But his lips seemed to remember hers. It was fucking right.

He takes the lead, his hands going around her back to press her further against him.

She lets out a startled gasp.

Nathan dips his head lower, nudging her lips open. She responded and met him halfway.

He swore.

She shivered.

He remembers kissing her. But somehow, this is better than his memory. This time it was different, because then they were still younger and now they're seemingly not. Yet his hands knew exactly where to touch. He knew exactly where she likes to be touched.

The rain poured heavily in the background, serenading the stagnant time they were in as they savor each other's warmth against the cold. 

Book 2

A bubbly socialite has threatened to spread colors in Cade Parkinson's monochromatic life

A bubbly socialite has threatened to spread colors in Cade Parkinson's monochromatic life. The brightest ray of sunshine whose boyfriend just gone MIA. However hard he tried to fend her off, she's just too stubborn as his sweet tooth. He has weakness for sweets. And then inevitably, a weakness for Kathie Jane Lewis. Funny how his own sweet tooth put his heart on the line.