(6) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

"I can't believe you just left me. I have no idea how to go on with my life. How will I survive our humdrum of a workplace?"

I laugh at Julie's melodramatic outburst as I set aside the now empty suitcases. Nathan offered help to unpack but business called, so I practically shooed him out the door because he had sacrificed enough of his precious time. I'm claiming the offer as advantageous but weighing all the while the great deal of embarrassment of having him stumble upon an underwear.

Not that I own sexy, lace undergarments. I preferred function over fashion right down to those private properties. And him knowing that would've make it all the more awkward.

"You never had trouble making friends, Jules," I pointed out.

"But you're my best friend. And you know very well that our outdated colleagues hate me. Also, those bitter divorcees always give me judgy eyes." She lets out a frustrated sigh. "I hate divorcees."

I chortled. "Do you realize you're best friends with one? Have you forgotten I'm divorced?"

There was silence on the other line.

"Right. It's strange, actually. I kind of see the guy as something imaginary."

"You met him." I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, but the guy looks fictional."

I try not to laugh. "You shook his hand. How is that fictional?"

"The guy is too good to be true. He's extremely good-looking and not a shmuck. No one that gorgeous is supposed to be beautiful on the inside too."

I shake my head smilingly. "This is what I'm going to miss about you."

"I'm going to miss your face." Julie exhales another sigh. "And Ethan? Has he forgotten about me?"

"Don't go feeling devastated, he forgot about me too."

She bellowed a laugh. "Oh, did he now?"

"Yep. He's with my parents. And hopefully won't stay that way for the rest of the vacation," I say with a chuckle.

"Well, perfectly understandable. He misses his grandparents."

I nodded to myself. "Yes. Keep me posted?"

"You never need to ask."

My head snapped toward my bedroom door that opened with a slam, Kathie rushing in with outstretched arms. "Bunny," Kathie virtually screeches.

I winced, my ears ringing. "Jesus Christ. I gotta go, Jules."

She pulled me into a hug that squeezed even the bones of my body. My cheek pressed tightly against her army green sweater dress and I only had her sweet perfume as oxygen. My sister always did smell amazing. "Chassie, you're really here."