(18) Ex-husband

Nathan could only clench his jaw at the thought of Chassie having dinner with a conniving Adam Roswell

Nathan could only clench his jaw at the thought of Chassie having dinner with a conniving Adam Roswell. Or anyone for that matter. David Lewis will never let anybody make a pass at his princess daughters. He would send an army if one would so much as lay a finger on Chassie in the slightest inappropriate manner.

The mere picture of Adam sitting across Chassie sends warning bells ringing in the back of his mind. Then there's the busted knuckle. He swore under his breath when Chassie winced as she secured an ice pack over her hand. She lifted herself on the bar stool, giving him a shy smile.

"You have to swear not to tell dad."

Nathan closes the fridge, a glass of water in hand. "Do I have a choice?"

She props her elbows on the counter, her lips pursing with thought. "Let me think," she pauses, "nope. You don't have a choice."

"Chassie," he trails off when she gives him a knowing look. "What am I supposed to do?"

"Don't do anything. For once, don't take care of anything at all."

He hands her the glass of water which she took with a smile that's both sweet and mischievous. "Thank you."

Nathan leans on the counter across from her. "I don't understand why you need to do this."

"I don't either." She shrugs innocently.

He narrowed his eyes on her. "Yes, you do."

"No. Do you remember that one time when I told you I want to write?"

Outdoor movie park. In the clearing by an oak tree which they take an unofficial ownership to because she liked the private spot. It was one of those moonless nights. Her eyes were sparkling like the stars up ahead. Even more so when she talked about how she was going to be a journalist. Nathan held her hand, gave her knuckle a kiss and told her she was going to be whatever she wanted to be because she's simply amazing. She threw her arms around his neck. Then her lips hovering over his, she told him he was everything to her.

"Yeah, I think I do," he murmurs.

"This is one of those moments."

Nathan smiles. And this is one of those moments where he can't get in the way. "Okay, miss independent."

She chuckles. "Promise me you won't say a word to my dad."

"Promise."

Chassie nodded, fiddling with the sleeves of her dress.

"On one condition." He holds up a finger.

Her back straightened. "On what condition?"

"Don't believe everything that idiot said."

She snorted. "You mean when he said I'm fat?"

"Chassie."

"Okay, fine. You don't think I did gain weight though?"