(44) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

"You look stunning, dear." Mia Forester engulfed me in a quick hug. They swore to come to the Farewell Party since they missed the welcome home party because they were on a vacation at the time. I reassured them it was completely fine.

"You look gorgeous. You never aged at all," I beamed. Nathan's mother is the most elegant woman I have ever met. She looked like she could have been a movie star had she chosen to be. Her eyes were her most distinguished feature. And I've been mesmerized by the same pair my whole life.

Nathan has his mother's eyes. It pains me a lot more seeing hers because that's the closest I could get to looking into his eyes.

"Thank you, Chassie." Mia Forester smiled, hinting a perfect blend of Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn. The woman is beautiful, age doesn't hinder that.

Sebastian Forester pulled me into his version of a hug. The faintest hug and a pat on the back of my head. "It's nice to see you. It's been a while."

I smiled self-consciously. "I've been busy."

Nathan's parents stood like a couple in a painting. They were a live picture of match-made in heaven. I've heard they been together as long as my parents have. Also, they're both extremely good-looking. Add it to their scale of perfection and they'll go way off the chart. They have made beautiful children – no questions as to how those babies managed to be physically perfect.

I happened to let one of those perfect children slip through my fingers.

"You should come and visit if you ever were in vacation again," Mia says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"We might be your ex in-laws, but you don't see us as some people of the past, do you?" Sebastian asks.

"She's just been busy with her career, you guys." Starlet comes up from behind me and swathed an arm around me, kissing my cheeks. "I've missed you."

"I missed you too."

"You miss your favorite brother in-law, right?" Jett chimes in, Ethan in his arms.

I struggled to smile, uncomfortable that he almost looks exactly like Nathan. "Of course, I did."

Ethan had kept his grandparents occupied enough to not have them noticed Starlet had taken me away from the huddle. My parents joined the Foresters. Kathie wandered in a moment later. It was as if Nathan and I were never even separated. They all stayed close.

"My parents doubt Nate would ever re-marry," Starlet quips, grabbing us both some champagne.

"Thanks," I murmured before gulping it down.

She stared at my empty Champagne flute. "Thirsty?"

"Yep." I sighed, grabbing another one when one of the waiters whirled past. "I think my parents doubt I'll ever re-marry too."