Advanced Lockdown

Ballonlea captivated May's senses the moment she stepped in. The charming town had been showered in towering trees and glowing mushrooms. This was the one place she wanted to see in Galar for the mystical illuminations. She thought she was lost forever in the Glimwood Tangle. It was worth it.

May did her best to stay within the new lockdown rules. Some days were more challenging than others, but the nights were more rigid than a Geodude's butt. Yawning, she stretched and headed straight towards the Pokémon Centre. Two Hattrem looked down at May with their beady black eyes and giggled. "What's so funny?" May asked. They did not respond and bounced towards a giant mushroom. May still shook in awe that she was here. It felt like she had walked into another world.

With her eyes on the Pokémon Centre, May couldn't help but feel this was the place to be ever since she saw a flyer advertising a Pokémon Shelter, the first of its kind in Galar. She hadn't seemed them in Hoenn, but she was sure they existed.

May's heart jumped at the sign. She pulled her bandana over her nose. She couldn't believe she would be spending her 2020 stuck in Galar with no way of going anywhere else. How can you quarantine a trainer? It was impossible. Pokémon didn't understand the concept of social distancing and wondering why their trainers were wearing masks and visors.

She never forgot the first time Blaziken saw May in a face mask: he banged against the tree laughing his head off. Glaceon laughed at Blaziken, laughing in May. She missed having the other Pokémon besides her, but she hoped that it wouldn't be long until things could go back to normal.

Nurse Joy stood in the doorway with her thermometer. "Hello and welcome to the Pokémon Centre." Nurse Joy was as polite as ever. She pointed at a sanitiser suspender. Staring at her dry hands, she could smell the sanitiser because it burned her hands. "Before I let you in, we need to check your temperature."

The thermometer presses against her forehead for a few seconds before Nurse Joy examines the number."36.1! You're okay, please follow social distancing and enjoy your stay."

"Huh?" May gasped. "There's nobody here." The other Pokémon centres she had been to had full of people, and there were some places where she couldn't get in at all. 

"Yes, it's been hushed since the lockdown rules became laxer. It's only you and another trainer staying at the moment. He said he was from Kanto, and he had a Pikachu."

Her eyes widened. She knew straight away who Nurse Joy was talking about. The person just happened to be somebody that she thought about. "Was his name Ash by any chance?" May asked. "Has black hair and wears a cap."

"Why, yes. Is he a friend of yours?" Nurse Joy asked.

"I haven't seen him in a few years. He helped a lot when I first left home."

"I see. We follow strict social distancing in this Pokémon Centre. No battles or trades will be allowed and no gatherings of 2 or more trainers."

"I understand."

"Very good. I hope you enjoy your stay."

On her way to her room, May felt she was walking in a ghost town. The place was spotless; not a single spot of dirt to be seen anywhere. She couldn't wait for the pandemic to be over. She felt bad for only being allowed to have two Pokémon with her and that public battles were banned.

How do you put a trainer in quarantine? They're travelling all the time, and they're young. If the adults have no idea what they're doing, how are the kids meant to react? May had seen trainers panic-buy ridiculous things from repels to chicken fillets to toilet paper.