Chapter 54: Striped & Solids

Start from the beginning

"Wait, what?" I prop my wooden stick against the wall and go up next to him. "You changed your major?"

He smiles earnestly. "Yep. I switched my major to Psychology and going to pursue Addiction Studies and Substance Abuse."

I cannot stop myself from smiling back hugely. "Wow, that is so exciting Bash!" I can envision him helping those like his father. "That is perfect Bash. I can picture you doing that, honestly."

"Yeah. I think I could like it, but I need to see how it goes first."

"You'll be great Bash. I know it," I tell him sincerely.

He beams back. "Thanks Emma."

I suddenly notice he only has one ball left. Damnit! He's going to win because he's been distracting me all this time. I scrutinize him as he readies himself for the score. Fine, I am going to play his sly way. I slide up next to him wrapping my arms around him.

His breath sharpens at my touch, but he continues to line himself up a lot slower than before. I start to trail kisses along his neck. He pulls back his hand for his winning shot and I go for the kill kissing the corner of his lips. His hand jerks and he misses, the black 8 ball falling into the pocket he was not aiming for. He sharply twists around to me and I fall back worried I took it too far. But all he does is crookedly grin at me.

"I can't even be mad," he responds with a laugh and bends down to finish the kiss I started. I immediately become entranced. I still can't over this and I don't think I ever will. He is intoxicating. He kisses one last peck on my lips before curling his finger underneath my chin to tilt it up. "So cheater, what question do you want to ask?"

"Okay, now I am totally feeling guilty I cheated," I admit sheepishly.

"I'm not," he chuckles under his breath. "Ask away."

"Alright," I clear my throat. "When did you first start to like me more than a friend?"

"Oh, right for the jugular then." His hand flies to his chest.

I laugh rolling my eyes. "Come on, that's not even that bad."

He leans on top of his cue stick. "Middle school."

My eyebrows shoot up. "Middle school?" I say incredulously.

"Yep. I was a hormonal boy and you were the prettiest girl I knew, but I knew even back then you were too good for me."

I continue to stare at him stunned. "I was not too good for you."

He shrugs. "You still are."

"That's-that's the most ridiculous statement I ever heard. If I ever hear it again I will punch you."

He laughs hard. "Alright then. I won't repeat it."

I tuck a curl behind my ear. "Since I cheated you can ask your question."

"Yeah?"

I nod. He reaches out and gently laces our fingers together.

"Okay mine is worse than yours." He swallows and takes a scary long pause. "Emma, would you like to be my girlfriend?"

My cheeks heat faster than I can stop them. "Um definitely. Yes, I would."

He crookedly smiles. "It's not too fast right?"

"No, it's not."

"Good," he breathes relieved. "I have been dying to ask you since New Year's."

"Really? Why?"

He leans down, "Because I am selfish and do not want to share you." His hands go to the small of my back and he pulls me snugly against him and I curve into him. He presses his lips to mine, a heat uncoiling low in my stomach.

***

Monday

I shut the door to Sebastien's place and take the path back to my dorm. We are finally back on campus for the spring semester. I just finished a mindfulness extra credit session with Sebastien, the one I promised I would help him with. It was more filled with kissing than mindfulness, but we still got what we needed to get done. And now I can't wipe a stupid grin off my face. I nearly skipped back to my dorm. My email notification buzzes and I glance down.

Hello Ms. Barnes,
Apologies for the late response. I received your resume and I would be happy to have you on my team for my research in my epidemiology lab. Let me know if this is something you are still interested in. Thanks!

I freeze in place. I got the research position. I reread the email over and over not believing it. I go to dial Sebastien with the news when a shrill voice stops me.

"You conniving little bitch!"

Oh, no. My back goes rigid. I know that voice. I gulp and cautiously spin around.

***
*author's note*
I am writing this at 1am haha. Any guesses on who Emma is about to see?? Send a vote if you like Emma & Sebastien's dates!
❤️❤️❤️