Unwanted Protection

Start from the beginning

    "He is currently on another assignment. I'm very confident in Commander Fox's capabilites," Palpatine said. He broke off as the office doors hissed open. Fox half turned. Senator Chuchi entered the room, flanked by her guards and Senator Amidala.

"You summoned me, Chancellor?" Senator Chuchi asked in her accented way.

"Yes, my dear. I know you're feeling unsettled by everything that has transpired recently. Until the investigation has ended, I've asked Commander Fox here to oversee your protection."

The Senator's jaw clenched briefly. "Chancellor, I've just had Jedi protection. I don't think anymore is required right now."

Chancellor Palpatine headed around his desk and took her hand in his own. "I know, but your safety is of great concern to me. I know I'm just an overbearing old man. Senator Amidala knows this well. I just want you to be safe."

Senator Chuchi glanced at Senator Amidala and let out a resigned sigh. "Very well. I will allow this to appease you, your Excellency."

"Thank you, my dear. I will let you know when there are any updates in the investigation." The Chancellor returned to his desk.

Senator Chuchi eyed Fox warily, then waved her hand. "Let's go." She led the way back into the hall with Senator Amidala at her side.

"I don't think she's too happy about this," Clay whispered.

"I noticed. That makes my job more difficult," Fox growled.

"Good luck with that one. I heard she used to be a shy little thing, but she's gotten very stubborn and outspoken now. She'll be a lot to handle."

Fox rolled his eyes beneath his helmet. "She's a senator. How hard can it be? I just have to follow her around wherever she goes and make sure she doesn't get herself killed."

"I think Thorn would disagree with that statement," Clay snorted. "Good luck all the same. I'll see you whenever you're not busy." Fox dipped his head towards his brother as Clay darted into a lift.

As soon as he was gone, Fox was left alone with his charge and her personal guards. Senator Amidala was still speaking with her. "Commander, I'm Captain Rye Tere." A Pantoran guard fell in step with him. "I'm Senator Chuchi's head of security."

Fox shook his offered hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"You too. I'm glad the Chancellor appointed you to protect the Senator. She was reluctant to accept the Jedi's help too. Even with Bane locked up, I'm afraid the danger around Riyo is still very real."

Fox arched an eyebrow at that. First name basis with her Captain of the Guard? That's odd. Fox nodded his agreement. "I would imagine that's why I was assigned to the case. I'll do whatever I can to help ensure her saftey."

"She may not thank you for it, but I do."

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Building
Riyo Chuchi

Riyo sighed as they drew near to a landing pad. Padmé gave her a sympathetic look. "Don't worry. He won't be breathing down your neck. I've been under clone protection several times. They'll do whatever you ask them to, as long as it doesn't compromise their assignment."

    "I know. I'm just tired of having to get used to all of these strangers." Riyo smirked to herself. "It's funny, honestly. You'd think that years of service and becoming a senator would help me become more at ease with people, and yet it hasn't."

    "Well, that's not a bad thing," Padmé replied. "I'll come find you later and you can complain to me all you want."

    Riyo laughed a bit. "All right. Until later, then." She stepped out onto the landing pad and boarded her shuttle. Riyo turned her gaze out towards the city, ignoring the clone commander as he took his seat.

    The trip back to her apartments wasn't over soon enough. Riyo took off running towards her room as soon as the shuttle touched down. A few of her maids were waiting to help her change. Riyo waved them off. They glanced at one another, but obeyed.

    Riyo swiftly changed out of her outfit and slipped on something more comfortable. She heard the door hiss open and shut again. Riyo stifled a groan as she pulled her long pastel purple hair back into a bun. At last, she forced herself to leave the closet.

    Sure enough, Commander Fox was waiting beside the door. "We need to discuss plans for your safety," he said.

    "Let's go." Riyo stepped out of her room and led him into her office. Captain Tere joined them shortly.

    She swiveled her chair around and stared out of the window while Tere explained where he had guards positioned throughout her apartments. "Does this sound all right to you, Senator?"

    Riyo started at Rye Tere's voice. "Yes, whatever you think is necessary." He dipped his head and made his way out of the office.

    "You didn't listen to a word he said, did you?" Fox asked.

"I'm just here so the two of you have a job. I choose to keep my focus on things that need my attention." Riyo turned her seat back to her desk and pulled a datapad out.

"I know you're unhappy with this, but can you at least make it somewhat easy for me and not go off and get yourself killed?"

Riyo scoffed at the frustration in his voice. "Don't worry. I won't." She pointed a hand towards the door. "If you'll excuse me, I have some bills to read over."

"Yes, M'lady." Fox left the room with barely a sound.

Riyo sighed and rested her head in her palms. I couldn't have been much ruder, could I? I even greeted Irel with more enthusiasm than that. Of course, then I was more concerned about myself and less annoyed with the constant badgering of guards. She began to skim over the bills Padmé had sent her, but couldn't focus. 

At last, she pulled open some different documents and began to read. "I'm willing to bet the Trade Federation or the Banking Clan are behind this. Maybe they're even working with the Separatists. Either way, someone paid Cad Bane to execute me. The committee might have been approved, but who said I can't do some investigating of my own?" Riyo thought aloud.

Another thought came to her suddenly. "Sib Canay was allied with the Separatists. He was there when the Federation blockaded Pantora and he was the one who kidnapped Chairman Papanoida's daughters. He could be behind this."

Riyo leaped to her feet and raced out the door. She froze, spying Fox waiting beside it. "Going somewhere?"

"Yes, actually. I'm going to find Sib Canay."

"Sib Canay? What do you want with him?"

"He was the Nemoidian who blockaded Pantora and kidnapped Chairman Papanoida's daughters. Ahsoka Tano and I discovered his plot and stopped him. It's possible that he set up the assassination attempts on me for revenge," Riyo explained.

Fox stared at her for a minute. "All right. Let's go."

"You're coming with?"

"Yes, for two reasons. One, I'm supposed to protect you and follow you everywhere. Two, Canay is currently in the Republic Judiciary Central Detention Center. No one will let you in there unless I'm with you. As an officer of the Coruscant Guard, I can get you clearance to get in and talk with him," Fox explained.

"All right. Let's go, then." Riyo gave him a genuine smile this time and headed out to the landing pad. She jumped into her personal speeder and fired up the engines. Fox climbed in beside her and they raced off towards the prison.