Two heavy knocks struck the door, and Mrs. Woods came barging into the children's room.

"Time to wake up little bed heads," she said in her fake sing-song voice. "Breakfast is on the table, and your father has something to tell you—hurry along now."

The children walked out of the room and into the hallway, yawning and rubbing their eyes. At the table, two rice flour pancakes and a quarter glass of soy milk awaited each child. They kissed their father before sitting down.

While the children struggled to eat, Mr. Woods sat quietly with a grim look on his face. Mrs. Woods shot him an angry look from across the table. Then Mr. Woods took a deep breath and began to tell the children about their upcoming "adventure."

"When can we come back?" asked Hansel.

"Why when the planet has enough food again," said Mrs. Woods condescendingly.

"And when will that be?" Gretel raised her eyebrow.

"Oh, in no time at all," said Mrs. Woods. "But you'll both be having so much fun, you'll hardly miss us—time will just fly by."

The children did not believe Mrs. Woods as far as they could throw her, so not missing her would be very easy. But they would miss their papa, who sat at the table with slouched shoulders and a long face.

Mrs. Woods told the children to have a shower and to put on their grey, space jumpsuits; adding that she had a special going away present for them. Maybe she's not so bad after all, Gretel thought to herself as she walked towards the bathroom.

Hansel, on the other hand, quickly slipped into the living room and retrieved his hologram tablet. While his sister showered, he downloaded an app to help cut their impending adventure short.

While getting changed, Hansel slipped into a pair of shorts, reduced the size of his tablet down to a pebble and slipped it into his pocket. From there, he put on his jumpsuit, zipped it up and joined the rest of the family in the kitchen.

Mr. and Mrs. Woods took the children to the launching area located in the opening of a canyon. Once Hansel and Gretel were strapped into their bubble-shaped ship with two wings and three cone-shaped rockets sticking out the back, Mrs. Woods handed them a loaf of crusty, zucchini bread.

Some present, Hansel thought.

"Now make sure you share this," Mrs. Woods said. "Don't eat it all at once."

Both children forced a smile. They wanted to say thanks, but the word seemed to be stuck in their throats. As the craft lifted off the ground, tears welled up in Mr. Woods's eyes. He wanted to watch the ship disappear into the sky, but his wife jerked his arm and reminded him that it was time to get more food rations.

"What are we going to do now?" Gretel asked as their ship left Vidarr's atmosphere and vast dark expanse of space unfolded before them.

"One second," Hansel held up a finger, unzipped his suit and reached into the pocket of his shorts.

He produced his hologram tablet, tapped on the screen and said, "Pilot."

Instantly, the figure of an old man was cast from the tablet. He greeted the children, looked around, then told Hansel the ship model and instructed him on how to disengage the autopilot and plot a new route away from the Talorian ship.

"We won't go back right away," Hansel said. "We'll make a few trips around the planet and then go back home just before sunset."

Gretel smiled and proceeded to play with her watch. They shared the disgusting bread evenly, and when evening came, Hansel landed the ship in the canyon; they caught the hover-train and went home.