Chapter 8

When lunch came around, I could not have gotten out of class sooner. It just so happened that the class that followed the first period was the same class. Not quite sure how I missed that we had a double, but we did. Which essentially meant a double of being forced to sit beside Sawyer. We were given our assignments (which were to be done in pairs) and told that once it's been handed in, we would do our practical. My nerves were all over the place and every time we had to consult with our partner, I had to remind myself that running out of class was not an option. The exception of that being the moment the bell rang.

Instead of going into the cafeteria, I grab something from the vending machine around the corner and head to the bleacher, taking a seat at the top. Out on the field, I can spot a bunch of kids playing soccer in the school colours. They're a mixture of girls and boys, every person screaming at their teammate or the rival team. Leaning forward, I watch quietly. Now, I didn't know much about soccer. The game was a complete mystery to me, but I found the fact that it wasn't just a team of girls or just a team of boys interesting.

"There are never enough boys or enough girls for a full team so they combine it." Turning my head, I spot Monique as she makes her way up to the bleacher seat before mine. Her eyes are sparkling and she's got this look like she's considering smiling but thinks against it.

"Found you," she says, sitting down. I smile in reply and a silence embraces us. It's not the awkward sort of silence but it's comfortable as we eat our lunch and watch the practice match.

The red team is winning, and every so often, Monique will make a comment. (She knows her stuff when it comes to the game.) When she catches my blank look, she explains something be it a move they just did or a foul that they got. I nod, understanding, and slowly find myself wanting to jump up and cheer them on. Of course, I don't.

"I'm sorry," I say as the game is nearing the end. She swivels in her spot to face me, surprise gleaming in her eyes before she's tilting her head in question. Neither of us say anything, not immediately at least. When she realizes I might not reply, she gives in.

"Why?"

"For being odd," I reply after a moment of hesitation. I'm not meeting her gaze. "Dodging Sawyer and making you dodge him too with no explanation. I'm sorry."

She stares and then her eyes soften and her lips pull up at the corners. "It's alright. I'm sorry for making you feel like you need to tell me. I know you're not obligated to—"

"I will."

"What?"

"Soon," I say.

"Soon what?"

"I'll tell you soon," I explain. Shifting my gaze to meet hers, I offer a small smile. "I just need more time."

Monique stares, most likely taking in what I've said. She tilts her head in consideration and then she's smiling again. "Take all the time you need, alright?" She waits until I've nodded before she stands up and glances over at me. "Now, let's start heading back or we'll be late."

We're climbing down when she asks how my classes went. I must have pulled a face because she asks how bad it really could have been.

"We were given specific seatings," I say with a groan. "And just as my luck would have it, I'm next to Sawyer."

This time, her face pulls in an attempt not to laugh (or at least, I think so, what with the way her lips pull together tightly and her eyes stare widely and unsurely.) She composes herself. "Surely it isn't going to—"

"Unless stated otherwise, this is the seating for the rest of the year," I grumble. "And we have to do our assignment and practicals together."

We're heading to her locker when she places a hand on my shoulder and nods her head. "All I can say is good luck." Though she's composed herself, I can tell she's still holding back her laughter. I don't bother with a response, hooking our arms and tugging her along. She falls into step easily and we head to her locker before making our way to class. 

All the while I can't help but think that goodluck might not be enough.