Chapter 7

It's freezing the next morning. I've pulled on the blazer over my cardigan and opted for stockings. I'm making my way through the cupboards when Carmela announces her entrance.

"Carmela, are there any beanies or scarves around here?" I query, turning on the chair I'm standing on so I can face her. From the way her face scrunches, I can tell that the answer is 'no' and I silently cuss. Jumping off the chair, I walk back over to my bed and pick up my school bag. I hadn't packed any of mine because I shared them with my mom and thought she would put it to good use. Clearly, the decision was a mistake.

"Cal, we need to go!" Adrian yells from down the corridor. Carmela smiles and steps aside as I hurry down the stairs. We don't stop, instead running to the bus stop just as the bus pulls up.

"One day we're going to miss it," I say, feeling the need to inform him as we climb on. I'm about to walk right to the back when there's a tug at the back of my blazer and I'm pulled into a three seater. I get ready to ask him what that was for when my eyes land on the person we've seated ourselves and my lips part in an 'o' shape.

"Morning to you too," Monique greets in amusement. She's prepared for the cold weather, unlike me. She's got a thick black coat on over her uniform, a navy scarf wrapped around her neck and instead of a beanie, she's got black earmuffs on.

"Morning," comes my reply. "I didn't see you."

"She was too worried about missing the bus sometime in the future," Adrian explains before smiling at Monique and greeting her. She returns the greeting effortlessly. Shortly after, Adrian is diving into one of his stories, Monique's got her earphones in and I'm only half listening. That's the entire bus ride and the next thing I know, we're getting off. Adrian nudges me a few times until he's gained my attention.

"What is it?" I ask in irritation. He smiles.

"I'll see you in class, okay?" His tone is a little strange, but I don't question it. Instead, I murmur a 'sure' and he's gone in a flash, as though that one word was the spell to make him disappear.

Rather than dwelling on it, I turn to Monique who lifts her head to look at me. Her phone slips into the inside blazer pocket she's got on under her coat and she's already walking ahead. I stride to keep up with her. We go to her locker first and she shrugs off the coat and slips it into the locker, trading it for a wool-knitted jersey. (After just one day, I've realized that they don't care much about uniforms the way they do back home. You could have your hair down and it's acceptable whereas back at my old school, you'd have five detentions. It's weird, but easy to adapt to.) Her muffs follow and she shuts her locker.

As we turn to head to mine, I spot him. He's at the other end of the hallway, shoving something into his locker. It just so happens that we need to walk that way. I weigh out my options, and honestly speaking, I don't know if I have the energy to go that way and face him.

Cal, come on

"We still have time before the bell rings," I say suddenly. I don't miss the flash of surprise across Monique's face as I turn around. "We can head the long way." Though it comes off as a suggestion, I'm already walking. Monique is by my side in a moment, keeping up with me easily enough. Her gaze flickers to me every now and again and half the time I expect her to ask me something. When she doesn't, I pretend not to notice that she's opening her mouth much less practically staring at me. When we get to my locker, she looks around before leaning against the one beside it, her back pressed up against the combination and her books clutched to her chest. She tilts her head back, looking at the ceiling.

"What's the deal with you?" Her voice fills the air as melodically as ever, but her tone is firm and while there is a hint of annoyance, when I meet her gaze, I don't think she means it to be there. Or rather, it's not directed at me but at the fact that I'm quiet about whatever this avoiding thing is.

"What do you mean?" I ask, feigning ignorance. She rolls her eyes and I shut my locker.

"I mean you're new here and you're already avoiding Sawyer like he's the plague," she states simply. She spares a sideways glance before straightening. There's an exhale of breath and she's turning to face me. "Although, I suppose when you're ready, you'll tell me." She steps passed me quietly and somehow, I feel guilty. Which I shouldn't. At least, I don't think I should. I only met her yesterday. I don't owe her any sort of explanation. "I'll see you at lunch," she calls, her voice distant. When I turn around, she's already down the hallway.

You should trust people more, you know. You've got your walls so high up, and all the doors are locked that it's kind of difficult to get in. (He paused. I remember him pausing. It was the first time we met and he spoke to me like he knew me. He went on for the longest time and then he paused.) Not all people are bad—

The bell is what snaps me out of it. It's probably the first—and definitely the last—time I'll ever be glad to hear the bell.

I rush off to my class, or at least, I try to. Three turns, two teachers giving me directions and a set of stairs later, I walk into the classroom. The class has fallen silent, but there's no teacher yet which eases the tension in my body. As soon as they realize I'm just a student, chatter fills the silence and I faintly hear my name being called. Adrian is in the back, waving frantically and grinning. Though what has me moving is the realization that, if I continue to stand here, the teacher will pitch up and I won't have a seat. I don't know if that could get you in trouble, but I'd like to not find out.

I take the seat in front of him.

"Told you I'd see you in class," he states as if I'd been doubting his words since this morning. I roll my eyes, choosing not to respond. Our conversation ends there as the teacher walks in. A step behind him, Sawyer walks in, making his way to one of the desks in the row behind me. We lock eyes for a moment which breaks when I turn away. It's absolute hell, looking into his eyes. Eyes like those on his face just made me feel like I'm looking right at Cooper again. It's like seeing a dead man walking or like he faked his death and was walking around with a whole new name. But that cannot be it.

"When I call your names, switch seats," the teacher—Mr Michaels—says monotonously. Without waiting for a response, he starts reading out the names. There are four rows with eight desks per row (two side by side) and Mr Michaels starts from the other side of the room, closest to the door. He's gotten to the final row and there's only five of us still standing. Adrian is already seated in the second row beside a girl with two braids and a set frown across her face.

"Mikayla Albertali and Christina Viviers." The two girls take their seats and Mr Michaels looks up at Sawyer and myself. "If it isn't clear enough, Callan Peterson and Sawyer Finn." As we take our seats, I catch his expression and for a moment, I think I see a flicker of surprise before he's looking away. Mr Michaels nods his head once. "This will be the seating for the rest of the year unless I state otherwise."

I slide into my seat and there's a soft mumble from the teacher, but it's distant. Sawyer turns his head to look at me. There's the quirk of his lips as he leans back into his chair. "Nice to meet you, desk mate."