Chapter 47 - Hayden

Start from the beginning

"Alright, I'll be upfront with you, Hayden," Hank begins. "I've been contacted by Meredith Kimmel, the journalist who's been bothering you the last few weeks. She made her case, saying this girl of yours is cheating on you, and you'll be seen as the loser once this all comes out."

Of course, that's how she wants to play this. "And what do we do about that?" I ask, knowing it's what he wants to hear.

"Well...I've heard you've been acquainted with Kim over here," he says, and I nod while glancing over to Kim, forcing myself to smile while I listen to him. "That's good, because the two of you can help each other out."

"What?"

"Yes. If news gets out that she cheated on you, we have to make sure you come out as the winner of all this. Don't worry, it won't be long, since we need to keep your playboy image up, but for the next couple of weeks I need you two to play your part. It'll boost both of your careers."

"Wouldn't people think I'm moving too fast when I'm with someone else immediately?" It's not like I'd ever let this farce happen, but Hank obviously doesn't know that.

"Well, let them. It's important the two of you get your faces out there. It would just support your playboy image," he says, glancing over at Kim, who's still sitting there like the innocent girl who couldn't harm a fly.

Fucking hell, she irritates me.

"Don't worry, Hay," she whispers. "There's already this chemistry between us..." Yeah, chemistry my ass... "I know you feel it." She wanders her fingers up my arm, and I so badly want to smack them away, I physically have to force my hand not to act on that urge. "People will see that too," she adds.

Like hell they will. "Yeah, sure," I answer, trying really fucking hard to play this game authentically, especially since all I want to do is scratch this woman's eyes out.

I'm holding myself back, though. I need to see the bigger picture.

So that's what I do. I listen how Hank explains his plan and how we're supposed to play this. I manage to postpone the charade for a few days, saying we should wait for the press to react to the news that's already out before we move on with our story. I still need more intel before I can finish this.

When Hank dismisses the meeting, I don't even hesitate. I immediately dash to the door and get the hell out of that godforsaken building. Twenty minutes later, I settle on the couch of the hotel room I booked myself, not wanting anyone to get a spare key in any way, and I dial Mila's number the second my head meets the cushion.

"Hey, mister." Mila's voice immediately soothes me, and I find myself taking a deep breath as I just let her voice linger in my mind for a moment. "Baby, are you okay?" she asks, the concern in her voice sending a frown on my lips.

"Yeah, yeah...sorry. I just hate being away from you," I admit.

She sighs, and I can't help but do the same, feeling absolutely drained. "I know, I hate it too. It won't be long now, though."

"I sure hope so."

"How did it go?"

"Well, it was..." I think about it for a second. "Interesting. They exactly what we predicted. Hank said Kim and I should be together for the public eye. It would contribute to both our careers."

There's a silence on the other end of the line, and I can only imagine what Mila must feel now. It's not something I want to experience. "So they did exactly what we thought they would," she whispers.

"Basically, yeah. There's this gala we're supposed to go to in a week..."

More silence. I know she doesn't want to cause a scene because of this, especially since we talked it through before we came up with this plan, but that doesn't mean she's comfortable with the entire ordeal.

"I don't want this any more than you do, Lucky. You know that. Just remember it," I reassure her.

"I know, I'm sorry. I know it was my idea as well. I'm just..." I can literally feel the struggle in her voice when she mutters, "I just don't like this. I know it's necessary, but it's not something I'm looking forward to."

"I get it, love. I do. Look, I was thinking of talking to Kill tomorrow to ask him about his sister. He might know some stuff that could help."

"Okay. I want to get this show over with as quickly as possible."

"Same as me, believe me."

The silence lingers between us, and I know neither of us has to say anything to understand what's going through our minds now. We want this to stop. We want to be together. On our terms.

"I love you, Mila. Don't forget that." My voice is thick with emotion, emotion I feel from the bottom of my heart.

And when she shyly giggles down the line, I imagine how she's right next to me, the sensation of her soft body pressed against mine sending goosebumps down my spine. 

"As if you'd let me forget. I love you too."