Chapter 40

Floris lay on his back in the grass under a tall shade tree with his teammates and Flare standing over him. He had suffered multiple broken bones from his fight with Flare, including a broken wrist from when he was flung through the air.

"Geeze, did you have to be so rough with us? You do know we're only just Associates, right?" Kathrina asked in an agitated tone while glaring angrily at Flare, "Those spells you were throwing at us could have easily killed us!"

"Yeah, man, what the hell was that all about?!" Alvis shouted, completely on Kathrina's side of the argument.

Flare waved his hands in front of him to calm his two students down and explained his actions, "I assure you, your lives were never in danger. The spells I sent at you are extremely powerful, but I was never truly aiming to hit you with a spell. It was more of an intimidation act to see if you would still have the nerve to face me. Call it a secret second test if you want."

Kathrina grabbed her right shoulder with her left hand and started exercising her right arm, trying to pop her joints and neck as she responded, "Even so, you played pretty rough with us, especially when you slammed me against that tree. My body aches all over the place, and I'm amazed I'm in better shape than Floris is after that." She looked down at Floris, who was lying beside her as she continued, "Speaking of which... how are you doing, Floris?"

Floris opened his eyes and looked at Kathrina, and moaned a little before giving her his response, "I'll live. I've suffered worse than this before."

"Well, even so, let me see if I can help you a little." Said Kathrina. She gently kneeled down beside Floris and sat on both her knees. She then held her hands over Floris' chest and cast a spell on him. A bluish-green aura filled the air around her hands, and she gently placed them down on Floris' chest.

A rush of relaxing and comforting energy made its way through Floris' body, soothing him as his wounds started to heal. He sighed very pleasurably as the magic started doing its work, making Kathrina smile at his reaction as she knew he was enjoying the feeling rushing through his body.

"Don't worry, Floris, I'll fix you up good as new." Kathrina said.

Alvis collapsed to the ground, sitting Indian style and sighed heavily, "I'm pooped. I've had a bit more excitement for one day than I really cared for."

"Are you injured, Alvis? I can heal you when I get done with Floris." Kathrina stated.

"No, I think I'm good. Just tired." Alvis replied.

Flare watched his pupils for a few moments, then cleared his throat to gain their attention, "Well, I must say I'm thoroughly impressed with you three. You each have unique individual skills that will prove to be useful in the future, but despite not knowing each other very long, your teamwork was phenomenal. You tried engaging me on your own a couple of times, but regrouped with each other when you realized that wasn't going to work. In truth, you're the first three students to ever pass my test."

Alvis, Floris, and Kathrina all looked at Flare with a shocked expression after hearing that. The majority of their squad didn't even use magic, but they still somehow passed?

"S-seriously? Even though two out of three of us can't use magic, or at least not yet?" Kathrina asked.

Flare nodded, "As absurd as it may sound, yes. This test was not about magic, to begin with. It was to test your teamwork and to see if you could put aside your own selfish greed for the good of your team. And you three passed with flying colors."

"Is that why you only had two bells, then? I had a hunch that was it, but that's all I could make it out to be." Floris asked.

Flare smiled under his mask as he looked at Floris and answered, "I had a feeling you'd catch onto it, Floris. In fact, your leadership skill was arguably more impressive to me than your teamwork. You had her and Alvis distract me while you hid in the forest and observed my movements. You took a few shots at me while my back was turned, but you were only taking advantage of the moment. While Alvis and Kathrina distracted me, you were coming up with ideas on how to get the bells. I knew what you were doing, which is why I never came after you. You were the first to display such actions, and I found it to be quite interesting."

Kathrina smiled down at Floris and playfully poked at his forehead and teased him, "Look at you using that big noggin' of yours!"

"Gak! Cut it out, Kathrina!" Floris said, slapping her hand away.

Kathrina chuckled and returned her attention to Flare and asked, "So, what would have happened if we hadn't gotten the bells, but still showed our teamwork?"

Flare directed his attention to Kathrina and answered, "You still would have passed. The bells were ultimately redundant. They were just a motive to get you to act. Had you displayed the same teamwork, but failed to have gotten the bells, you still would have passed without a second thought. The moment you three stood against me was the moment you passed the test."

"So, what happens now?" Alvis asked curiously.

Flare directed his attention at Alvis and replied, "For now, just rest. We'll have a celebration tonight for your accomplishments. After that, your training as mages will officially begin. I couldn't be more proud than I am of all three of you; you show great promise as a team, and I feel confident letting you continue on to the next guild hall."

Alvis, Floris, and Kathrina all smiled happily at one another, feeling proud of their accomplishments, and feeling relieved that they have a future ahead of them with the guild. Floris grabbed Kathrina's right wrist, getting her attention, and nodded at her, letting her know he felt well enough to manage on his own. Without a word, she stood to her feet and grabbed Floris' hand to help him up.

Flare smiled proudly under his mask as he looked at his three students standing tall before him, eager for their next adventure, and turned his shoulder to them as he spoke, "Let's head back and celebrate."

The three young mages followed closely behind, eagerly awaiting their first trials.