Chapter 11 - Sick Day

You know when you hear a catchy song? Usually one of Taylor Swift's new songs. I've a blank space baby because we are never ever getting back together because I knew you were trouble so I'm just going to shake it off cause I don't know about you but I'm feeling twenty two.

Anyway, you get this song stuck in your head and despite your best efforts, it just won't get out of your head. It plays over and over again and sometimes it's good because it's a good song that you enjoy and you end up just belting out random parts of the song at random times and people look at you like you're a weirdo. Or maybe that's just me.

Then there are other times when the song is horrible and it's running through your head and you're desperately doing everything you can to get it out of there but it keeps going. You're listening to different music and trying to distract yourself from the song but it's still there in the back of your mind.

That's what my problem was except it wasn't with a song. Crystal's drunk guy at the party was running through my head over and over again. I had cried for hours after Shauna dropped me home. I didn't get hurt or anything but I came so close and I wouldn't be here right now if it wasn't for Luke. He saved me.

"Ellie? Are you alright?" My mom asked as she walked into my room to see me still lying in bed. My eyes were red and puffy with smeared eye makeup and streaky foundation. I know it was bad but I couldn't find it in me to do anything but curl up in bed last night. My hair was dishevelled and stuck to parts of my face in a complete birds nest on top of my head. My mom's eyebrows were drawn together with worry and her lips pressed in a tight line as she looked at me from the bottom of the bed. "El what's wrong?"

"I'm not feeling the best," I murmured to her in my half asleep state. Mom knew I didn't skip out of school. I wasn't so bad that I forced myself to go to school even if I was smothering with a cold or something but I wouldn't fake an illness. I wasn't lying. I really wasn't feeling the best. Far from it actually.  Mom shifted from foot to foot as she looked at me over.

"Stay home. You don't look well. I have to go to work, your dad's already gone and Adam is supposed to be leaving for college in a few minutes so you'll be on your own till Adam gets home. You'll be okay right?" Mom asked, her eyes brimming with worry and concern. I have to say I was pretty relieved that she was being so easy on me about this but then agian she did encourage me to go to that party yesterday so she was probably expecting me to not be going in to school today.

"I'll be fine mom," I answered, my throat dry and scratchy and my voice sounding the same. She came over to my bed and gave me a long hug, the ones that make you feel better immediately just because it's from your mom.

"I'll leave breakfast for you downstairs in case you feel up for it later. Does Shauna know your not going with her?" Mom asked, taking her phone out from her pocket as if ready to call just in case.

"She's not going to school today mom. She was allowed to stay off," I replied and mom put her phone away.

"Alright honey, I'm going to go now but you rest up. You're not getting off tomorrow too okay? I love you Ellie," Mom told me, giving me another hug and walking out of the room.

"Love you too mom," I called after her and pulled the duvet up closer around my chin as I tried to drift back to sleep.

*     *     *     *     *

Hey E, just wanted to see if you're okay - Jordan

My phone buzzing had pulled me out of much needed sleep but despite my weariness, I started kicking the bed when I saw it was from Jordan. Turning my head, I squealed into my pillow before making sure I was composed enough to reply.  I knew he couldn't see me but it still only felt right to make sure I was relaxed before replying.

Hi, yeah, not feeling the best but thanks - Ellie

I didn't expect him to reply soon but he did straight away and the smile was making my cheeks hurt. Jordan Taylors, texting me during school because he saw I wasn't in. I probably shouldn't feel special because he probably does this with a lot of people but I did. I felt special and important and cared about.

This isn't some excuse to get out of our date is it because I was looking forward to it. Honestly though, I hope you feel better - Jordan

I kicked the bed in excitement again as I read the text over and over again. He was serious about the date! It wasn't just something he said in a drunken haze or anything. He remembered and he was seriously asking me on a date.

Oh my gosh. Jordan Taylors was asking me on a date.

Dang it, you caught me. There goes that plan ;) And thank you - Ellie

Ouch Ellie. My ego is bruised ;) So I was thinking dinner and a movie? - Jordan

Sounds perfect. When? - Ellie

Friday night? Seven? - Jordan

Works for me. What movie? - Ellie

We'll choose when we get there - Jordan

Okay, it's a date - Ellie

Can't wait. Ttyl E <3 - Jordan

I think my heart just stopped. He sent a heart oh my gosh can he get anymore perfect?  He sent a heart he is so cute! I'm going to die. I'm going on a date with  Jordan Taylors! We're going to the movies. What if he tries to kiss me? I've never kissed anyone.

On one hand, my first kiss being Jordan Taylors would be a dream come true but then again, if my first kiss is Jordan then I'm going to suck and he's never going to want to kiss me again. I want my first kiss to be special but if I'm kissing Jordan I want to be good too. I want him to actually enjoy kissing me and if I'm a bad kisser because I haven't kissed anyone then that will be a serious problem in my plan to get Jordan to like me. Okay, it's not so much of a plan than a dream but it still counts.

I need to figure something out.

I jumped out of bed and ran into my bathroom to shower. When I was finished, I threw on a pair of loose, navy, cotton shorts and a white, off-shoulder t-shirt, ran a brush through my now wavy hair and a lick of mascara on my eyelashes out of habit. I needed a plan, some sort of plan to try and figure out how I was going to become a decent kisser in case Jordan ended up kissing me on Saturday. I was brushing my teeth and looking at myself in the mirror as I did while I tried to come up with a plan with myself. The doorbell ringing pulled me out of my planning and after spitting out my toothpaste and wiping my mouth, I ran downstairs to see who it could be with everyone gone for the day.

"Zach?" I asked, opening the door so he could come in. This was a welcome surprise. "Hey. Adam's not here..." I trailed off, leaving it open for him to fill in why he came. I knew his house was loud and busy but he should know Adam wasn't here, he was at college, where he goes with Zach.

"Hey Ellie," Zach replied with a grin as he walked inside and slid the beanie off the back of his head before taking off the zip up hoodie he was wearing as a jacket. "I know. I heard you weren't feeling well so I thought I'd come cheer you up. I've no classes today and Adam does so" Zach said with a shrug and I raised an eyebrow at him with a straight face. His eyes went wide and he opened and closed his mouth a few times as he realised what that sounded like. "Wait no. I didn't come here because I had nothing better to do. That's not why. I just wanted to see if you were okay and if I could do anything," Zach corrected himself and I have to say, he looked so darn cute when he was flustered.

"Relax Zach," I told him, punching his arm lightly with a grin. "I was only kidding with you. So you came to check up on me huh? That's sweet." Zach moved his hand to scratch the back of his neck, something I knew he only did if he was embarrassed or nervous or something along those lines.

"Yeah, uh, I guess," Zach said with a light laugh and sat down on the couch. I sat down on the other side, folding one leg underneath me and the other in front of me as I faced Zach. "So are you okay? Is there anything I can do to help?" Zach asked, worry and concern lacing his voice and a horrible terrible idea bounced into my mind. Unfortunately, this was not one of the times when my brain let my filter work.

"There is one thing you could do for me and you can say no obviously, I won't be offended or anything, it's perfectly fine. But Zach, could you please teach me how to kiss?" I blurted and when he did a double take I felt my cheeks burn with that familiar blushing sensation. I'm officially an idiot. Why would he do that? Why would I ask that? I know I was desperate but asking Zach was taking it to another level. It wasn't that there was anything wrong with Zach, in fact there wasn't much wrong with Zach, at all, he was gorgeous and sweet and thoughtful and caring but he was Adam's best friend so he probably saw me as an annoying little sister or something. Why did I have to-?

"Uh, sure, okay," Zach interrupted my thoughts with his answer.

"Yeah, sorry, you're right. It was a stupid question," I apologised and then what he said sunk in. "Wait. What did you just say?" I asked again, my eyes darting up from the couch to meet his. He looked kind of nervous, like he wasn't sure about it and I completely understood. Why he would be sure about it I did not know.

"I said I'd do it," Zach repeated but he raised the tone of his voice at the end so it sounded more like a question. Reaching up, he scratched the back of his neck lightly and I sunk back in my seat. Zach was going to teach me how to kiss. Would this even work? Would it make everything awkward? No. I wouldn't let it get awkward. If worse came to worse and this went horrible then I'd just pretend it never happened and hopefully Zach would go right along with it and we could forget this tiny blot in our relationship. Yes.

"Okay. Perfect," I replied with a smile and moved closer on the couch so I was sitting beside him. My hands were shaking slightly with anticipated nerves and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. I was nervous but I knew I would be. This would be my first kiss. I was allowed feel nervous about my first kiss.

"Okay. So, uh, yeah," Zach said to me, running a hand through his hair and taking a deep breath before turning to me. Was her nervous about kissing me or just aware that I'd be horrible or this would turn out weird and he'd completely regret it? Have you ever had those times where you seriously wish that you could read minds? This was one of those times. "So when your going to kiss someone, you don't want to just go straight in, it doesn't work. You have to be slow, let the energy build up so you know that they want to kiss you," Zach started and I nodded with my eyebrows furrowed slightly as I tried to remember. Zach turned to face me more and moved one of his arms so it was resting on the couch. Moving closer, he brushed a piece of hair behind my ear, his finger lightly brushing against my cheekbones and setting off a flurry of butterflies in my stomach.

Zach moved his other hand up to my face and lightly ran his thumb above one of my eyebrows. "Relax El. Don't think so much," he told me, his voice deeper than I thought it had been a few seconds ago. Nodding slowly, I sat up straighter so I was closer to him. There was a bubble of excited butterflies fluttering against my stomach and I quickly ran my tongue over my bottom lip out of nervousness. Zach's eyes that had previously been staring into mine had now shifted to my lips and then back up to mine. My stomach started doing somersaults as his lips bushed ever so softly against mine and my eyelids fluttered closed. Zach brushed his lips against mine again and I felt all of the previous tension start to leave my body before I started to panic again. What was I supposed to do?

I took my a second to realise that Zach was kissing me. His lips were warm and soft and moving against mine ever so gently. All logical thought left my head when his hand moved from the couch to the back of my neck and I leaned closer to him. Hesitantly, I followed his lead, moving my lips in sync with his and as soon as I did, he moved his hand from the back of my neck in a feather light trail down to the small of my back, pushing me closer to his and making my stomach flip. He pulled back slightly and started rubbing small circles on the base of my back with a barely there touch that felt like it was on fire. "Open your mouth El," he muttered as he placed some more light kisses against my lips.

Slowly, because let's be serious, this was seriously the part I was worried about, I opened my mouth and Zach started moving his mouth against mine again, his breath light and hot and setting off a whole new wave of sparks as I snaked my hands around his neck. Then I felt the strangest but more enjoyable thing I had ever felt as his tongue gently rubbed against the tip of mine. It was light and soft but it made me run one of my hands up into the back of his hair and press closer to Zach. His tongue caressed mine again and another wave of pleasure washed over me. One hand stayed on my back while the other moved from my waist, down to my leg. Following his lead, I lightly brushed my tongue against his and after a few more seconds he moved away from my mouth and started trailing light, hot kisses across my cheek, along my jaw, down my neck, across my collarbone and over to my shoulder.

I was breathing heavily as I tried to catch my breath again. I was trying to focus on what I was doing or should be doing but I was pulled out of my head as I felt Zach's tongue run across my neck and I unknowingly, lightly tugged at his hair, making his groan softly as he moved back up to my lips and softly tugged my bottom lip between his as he pulled away. I didn't realise I had moved closer to him until I fully realised that we had stopped and my eyes fluttered open.

His hand was still at my back and on my thigh and mine was still at his neck and in his hand while I was practically on his lap now but the tiny sparks were still making my lips tingle. I slowly, reluctantly moved away from Zach with a slightly dazed smile at him. Why did I want to wait for my first kiss again? Because that was the best thing  I had ever felt and I surprised myself but how much I wanted to move closer to Zach again and feel his arms around me and feel so warm beside him and feel those amazing sparks again when I pressed my lips to his.

"Well, uh, I should probably go now but I'm glad I could help El," Zach said, only managing to pull me out of my daze slightly. I could tell my face was flushed but I didn't care, for once I didn't care that I was blushing. Zach stood up and pulled his hoodie back on.

"Thanks so much Zach. That helped a lot," I told him, ignoring the butterflies still in my stomach when I looked in his eyes.

"I'll see ya El," Zach said with a smile and left the house with a wave. Closing the door behind him,  I lightly touched my lips with the tips of my fingers, still feeling the tingles from Zach. Now I just needed to forget that how amazing of a kisser Zach was and concentrate on using what he taught me to kiss Jordan, if Jordan kissed me. The only question was, how the heck was I supposed to forget how amazing that felt next time I saw Zach? I think I just created a mess.

My phone buzzed at the perfect time to pull me from my worrying thought.

Hey Kitten. You're not in so I'm guessing our tutorings off today. I'll see you tomorrow Kitten. Just remember I'll always be there okay? You're okay - Luke

I bit my lip lightly as I read his sweet text but then my eyebrows drew together in confusion.

How did you get my number? - Ellie

I don't have your number. See ya Kitten ;) - Luke

I laughed out loud and shook my head. How was it that I was actually looking forward to seeing Luke tomorrow when I had been so scared of him just a few days ago?  

Something wasn't right. Luke, Jordan and Zach. All taking a weird interest all at the same time. There was something going on and no matter how dreamy Jordan was, how many butterflies Zach set off in my stomach and how safe and how much Luke made me smile, I was going to figure out what the heck was going on.