Chapter 24 - The Fight

I think everyone has that thing they do to get over a bad day. Adam, well he finds a girl, not an option I would recommend. Shauna gets her nails done. Zach, he comes around here and manages to find something to do. Me? Well when I have a bad day, I can't find it in myself to watch something or read something. I just can't concentrate on it. I have to do something that takes more concentration than that.

Me, I make something.

It hadn't been a really bad day but definitely full to enough drama to make my need to make something flare.

Dropping my bag by the door, I headed into the kitchen and started pulling ingredients out of the press. Usually I used recipes but I made cupcakes enough to know the recipe off by heart. Zach was lying on the couch, flicking through channels, making himself at home but it was basically his second home anyway.

I poured the mix into the papers in the tray and slotted them into the oven. As soon as they were in I started to make icing. I couldn't ice them until the cupcakes were cooked and cooled but I needed to do something to get my mind off today.

That was just weird. It was just a weird day.

It had been a day of mixed emotions. I felt humiliated and disgusting when people were looking at me and talking about me but then people stood up for me and defended me and I didn't feel as horrible anymore. They made me feel better.

Then I tried to apologise to Luke but he just brushed me off.

Jordan believed me and then asked me to give him a chance. I wasn't sure if that was his way of asking me out or not. It kind of sounded like but I wasn't sure. I never answered him though. I would have to remember that and text him later. That would be an interesting conversation.

Then Luke acted all weird and pulled me into that janitors closet and nearly kissed me. I still wasn't sure if I would have let him kiss me or not. Jake's words made an impact. He was right. I was naive and I trusted people way too quickly. That could be good but it would hurt me and others. But then Luke and I got caught and I was embarrassed all over again.

Luke got back to normal though and we ended up messing but he and Zach looked like they were about to fight when we reached the car. I never thought I'd say it but thank goodness Crystal came. Even though it was with some weird, fake revelation about how she was pregnant with Luke's baby.

Jordan randomly showed up and proved it was all fake. I still don't get how everyone has suddenly managed to develop a perfect sense of timing. It feels like a movie or a book or something.

"Ellie calm down," Zach said softly, his hand resting on mine and stopping it from moving. I had decided to mix the icing by hand and it seemed my confusion and frustration had become obvious thanks to that. "Are you okay?" Zach asked, slowly uncurling my fingers from the whisk and taking the bowl out of my arm.

"I don't know anymore," I answered, looking up at him while he laced his fingers with mine. There was butterflies in my stomach and I found myself leaning against Zach's chest as his other arm came around my waist. "Everything's just so messed up."

"It's okay El. Everything's okay. You're okay and if you're not okay I'll be here until you are," Zach reassured me. The sincerity in his voice made me melt. How was he so sweet? He was always so nice and sweet and adorable and amazing. He was always so caring and kind and he was always there for me.

"Thanks Zach," I whispered because that was as loud I could talk without him hearing the emotion in it. I swear I was near tears. I was usually near tears though. Since yesterday. I couldn't believe that it was only yesterday that it happened. It felt like it was weeks ago and it was less than twenty four hours. Everything seemed like it was weeks ago but it was like all of my memories that feel like they were years ago only happened over the last few weeks.