Chapter 9: The Royal Sommerhus

Start from the beginning

"Soon you'll be four Anna, and then you'll have to start using stairs with walking feet instead of flying feet." Mama tucked the dolls under each of Anna's arms and gave her a gentle pat on the bottom.
Anna laughed and ran to the kitchen. "No, Mama, I always fly!"

I walked down the stairs, a lump of ice beginning to take shape in my hand. I had been making ice models of each of the flowers they had planted in the boxes and the yellow rose was my next project. Papa was in the kitchen, a picnic basket on his arm and a blanket over his shoulder."Shall we, ladies?" He bowed and gestured to the wide expanse of green grass just outside the kitchen door. Anna and I ran ahead, already knowing where the best picnic spot was.

Mama and Papa trailed behind, hand in hand. Mama breathed deeply of the salty air and Papa watched as some strands of her hair danced in the wind.

"Being here, further north like this...the way the breeze is always moving, I..." Papa shrugged and shook his head, unsure of how to continue. "I sometimes think I'm about to remember something but it slips away before I quite have it. Your hair, floating about you, my whole body flying. But I can't make sense of it. It's maddening!"

Mama turned her head to look at him. "We played in the wind." She looked around to be sure the guards were far enough away that they wouldn't hear, that me and Anna were occupied with our dolls and ice flowers in the shade of the trees. "When the forest was open. We played hide and seek and the wind helped me find you." For a moment, he was worried he had made her sad, but then she laughed."The wind pulled you into the air and even then you tried to chase me."

Papa leaned in close and kissed her behind her ear.
"I'll always chase you. And I'll always catch you."

Mama laughed again, and then ran, shouting over her shoulder "I wouldn't be so sure about that! Who's carrying a heavy basket and a cumbersome blanket and who is as free and as fast as a fox?"

Me and Anna saw our mother running and joined in, dolls discarded haphazardly and ice flowers carefully set down. The shrieking laughter of our family of four echoed in the trees as the wind pulled and tugged at our hair, our clothes, our memories.

"Do you wanna build a snowman?" Me and Anna lay on the blanket, full of food and starting to get sleepy. And when Anna got sleepy, she liked to quickly come up with a new activity to stave off napping. She sat up, pulling on my hands. "Do the magic!"

I sat up too, and began making a miniature snowman. "Here. This snowman likes summer and sun and all things hot."

Anna giggled. "Snowmen can't like summer! He can't get hot!"

I shook my head. "Not this snowman. He's special. He likes picnics. And eating sandwiches outside. And taking naps when he gets sleepy. And he especially likes you." I handed the snowman to Anna. "I'll bet he'd like to take a nap with you."

Papa swatted at a bee that buzzed near his ear and watched as I paused in my storytelling to pick a dandelion and blow on it, sending a shoulder of fuzz over Anna that made her laugh and then sneeze. I lay down again and Anna copied me, snuggling the snowman close as her eyes started to close.

Mama laid down too, put her head in Papa's lap, pulling his arm around her like a blanket. "Wake me up when Anna's awake. I'll just-"

Papa and I looked each other, silent laughter coming from them as they looked at the sleeping half of their family.

"Let's look at the clouds, Elsa. I bet I can find one that looks just like The Duke of Weselton's mustache." Papa said

"Agnarr! She's gotten the goat on the roof!" Mama's voice carried into the cottage from the front yard where she was considering the quickest way to scale the roof herself.

"Again?" Papa ran out of the front door, and bumped into Anna who was proudly looking at the goat she led onto the top of the house.

"Goats like climbing! And grass! I like those things too!" Papa watched in horror as she swallowed and saw the streak of green remaining in her unfurled fist.

Papa caught Mama's arm before she began using the shutters as footholds. "The goat will come down on its own when it's ready. I'm more worried about the grass she ate."

"Oh that's fine. She might have a stomachache, but that will just teach her not to eat it again."

"Anna burped and laughed. "Yummy!" She pushed another handful of grass into her mouth and Papa slapped a hand to his forehead, groaning.

"Always check the other hand! I should know that by now!"

Bags packed, furniture covered, and goats hugged, our family said goodbye to the Sommerhus and stood in front of it for one last look before the journey back to Arendelle proper.

"It's a wonderful home, Agnarr. Let's come back next summer. Anna will be easier at almost-five than almost-four." Mama said

Papa draped an arm around her shoulders and leaned in close to her ear, whispering "Or perhaps earlier than that, just you and me. Janet has had the whole month off. I'm sure she can handle the girls for a time this fall so you and I can play hide and seek just the two of us."

"Mama kissed him and then whispered back. "Are you so sure I'll let you catch me?"

Papa lifted her up and twirled her around as me and Anna pulled on his legs for our turn spinning with Papa. "I'll always catch you."