Chapter 9- walk in the park

(Y/N) POV:

I clutch the package tightly to me- as if my fingers are glued to it, feeling both a sense of nausea and relief churning together as I hold it towards my chest- as if the closeness will ease that ache in my heart, the weariness I feel wash over me in great tidal waves.

I wander in a daze, mind still drifting back to the Magic Shop and the man who'd helped me. Who knew understanding and help could be found in a music shop of all places? From a person who'd somehow understood my pain and inability to talk and reached in and given me a shred of comfort.

As I walk my phone suddenly buzzes, alerting me to a text that has just come through.

I fish it out, reading the bright text from unnie- a constant spamming of words and emojis as she silently celebrates the successful end of her business work- accounts sorted, connected and her small errands done.

I respond happily to her offer for lunch, the thought of Italian food making me eager to get there. I open the maps app, typing in the address- beginning the short walk there with the promise of being treated delicious, hearty food making me walk just a tad bit quicker.

I spot unnie sitting in a tucked away booth away from the windows and away from the main bustle of the restaurant, picking my way through tables and waiters to weave around and plop myself down opposite her- her eyes widening with surprise before she breaks out into a wide smile- dazzling and bright.

She raises her hand slightly, signalling to a waiter and it's only then that I realise that she's purposely picked an enclosed space that would allow the two of us to speak without fear of being overheard. And after she's put in our orders, she goes to pour the sparkling fruit drink into our glasses, serving me first.

"To a new start sweetheart." She says, raising her glass for a toast, my eyes caught on the way the bubbles rise to the pink surface.

"To happiness unnie." I say back, voice cautiously low but honestly wishing for it. For all of us to be happy no matter where we go, no matter how damaged our souls are- for a shred of joy in our lives.

Her smile curves, naturally deep-pink lips parting to show her teeth, glass tipping the sparkling rose coloured liquid down her mouth.

"So what's in the package?" she asks, setting the glass down.

My fingers fiddle with the stem of the glass, eyes meeting hers.

"A vinyl for one of the songs my parents used to like." I say softly, watching as her face melts into a sorrowful expression.

Her hand sliding over the table to grip mine, squeezing gently.

"Another relic?" she asks, voice understanding.

I nod.

"Another relic. I don't have all my memories left from my time as a human. But the ones I do, I want to preserve." I say. Her eyes are sad and haunted too- before she shakes her head slightly; the ghosts of our past melting away.

"I always did love the way your mum used to laugh and dance. She naturally sparkled." She reminisces behind a nostalgic smile.

Her words bring the sound of her laughter, bright and joyous to fleetingly brush through my mind.

But then the appearance of the waiter pushes it away, focus rediverted onto steaming plates of pasta that the two of us share, swapping forks, sharing bites and enjoying the two of them- shared between us.

When we're done, I rush to pay but unnie is already there- waving the receipt at me teasingly before she threads her arm through mine, linking us together as we leave, shoes clinking in unison against the ground.