Chapter 27

Next day I woke up even before the alarm rang because I am excited for my stay at Cherry's house . After eating the breakfast . My Mom and Dad took me Cherry's house . Throughout my journey to Cherry's house , I was quite as I knew now I would see my parents only after 10 days . My mom slowly caressed my hairs with affection . My eyes got welled up but I controlled myself from crying like a baby. Separation from parents is really hard even if it is for mere 10 to 12 days . As the car stopped my heart was racing as I knew soon my parents will depart for US.

Cherry and her mom came to receive me at their main door. After that I hugged my mom , a lone tear escaped my eye. I could see my Mom's eyes welling up too. My mom is a strong woman but today I could see an emotional side of her as I know from inside her heart might be tearing up to leave me here. Then she gently kissed my forehead . Mom asked me to care of myself and she told me that she would call me daily.

Then my Dad asked my Mom to hurry up . My Mom saw Cherry's mom had confused expressions on her face . So, my Mom covered up my Dad's rude behaviour by saying " Oh we have our flight , so that is why my husband Ashish is panicking a bit ." Cherry's mom smiled and said" It's okay Naina ( my mom's name) . You should leave for airport on time." After that Dad got seated in the car followed by my mom. Then Dad opened the car's window and he looked at me .I expected that he will say" Take care Diya" but I guess I again expected too much as my Dad said" Diya study well as your exams are approaching near and I want you to score good. "

My heart was shattered as Dad said nothing about my well being . Well...it's ok I am habitual to all this. I could see that my mom had tears in her eyes . I fell a pang on my heart to see my mom crying for me. I then cheered up mom saying
" I will be alright mom , love you . " My mom then smiled and wiped her tears and  then my mom  bid me goodbye. I  too said good bye to her with a heavy heart but I covered my face with a small smile . Then my  parent's   car zoomed off and I kept seeing it until it disappeared from my vision .

Cherry and her mom took me inside their house . Cherry took me to a guest room where I could keep my clothes and books as  I will  sleep with Cherry in her room. After that I  placed my clothes in the cupboard and I kept my books on the coffee table of the room. Then Cherry took me to the dinning room where we had a lunch together .

Cherry's  dad was away at work .Hence  I , Cherry and Cherry's mom Nancy D' Souza  ate lunch together. After lunch Cherry took me to her room. We sat down to watch a movie on Netflix . I was hardly watching the movie as I was already missing my parents . After the movie got over , Cherry started talking to me but then she noticed  that I was lost in my own world , so Cherry stopped talking . She holded my hand and said " Diya don't worry these 10 days will pass quickly because we will enjoy a lot ." I gave Cherry an assuring look .

It was evening time . Cherry took me out in the garden and we sat on a beautiful swing for a while , then Cherry asked me to accompany her to the Church . I got curious to see a church for the first time so I decided to go to Church with Cherry. We walked to a nearby Church named Saint Joseph Church .

The Church looked so peaceful with trees around it. The ambience was surreal .As we walked into the Church . I saw beautiful paintings of Mother Mary and Jesus Christ on the walls of the Church . The beautiful glass painting designs on the huge windows of the Church were  adding beauty to the place . I looked at the statue of Jesus Christ with a Crucifix . Then Cherry asked me to sit next to her on the bench . I sat next to Cherry as I saw Cherry joining her hands, closing her eyes and praying . I too closed my eyes and I prayed to the divine power "May I find the right path for myself ."

Then Cherry and I returned home . After visiting Church , I found peace and now I  felt a relaxed and calmer. Then Cherry and I helped Nancy aunty(Cherry's mother ) in setting up the dinner table . After a few minutes Cherry's dad Mr. David D' Souza came from his office . David Uncle ( Cherry's father ) is a professional lawyer .

We ate dinner . Nancy Aunty cooks special Sunday dinner for the family because for the rest of the days the cook prepares food for the family .Like other days today also Nancy Aunty's tasted amazing . I loved the garlic soup and baked potato that Nancy Aunty made for the dinner . Even the caramel pudding cooked by her was delicious .

I thanked Nancy aunty for the delicious dinner . While Nancy Aunty told me not to thank her for the food because she treats me like her own daughter . I am already admiring , the caring nature of Mr and Mrs D'Souza ( Cherry's parents ).

Although the culture of Cherry's family is totally different from mine but still the warmth and love of the family has made me comfortable . The new food , culture and environment has made me curious and excited .  These 10-12 days  will make me learn  new ways of living while exploring different cuisine of food, different traditions and customs and different style of clothes .

After the supper , I and Cherry went to  Cherry's room . We both talked for a while . Then we packed our bag for school . After that we decided  to sleep. Before sleeping I thought to myself that "Exposure to a different culture and religion will definitely broaden my horizon of thinking and will give me a different vision to look at the diverse cultures and religions of my country."

********CHAPTER   ENDS***********