Whom Can One Trust?

Start from the beginning

"So, perhaps we should try introducing ourselves again. I'm Jaci Aigle. I'm from the US. I'm here to study this mountain and find out if vampires and werewolves really live here. Which, I guess I now know they do. You are a werewolf right? I can't picture you as a human. Though I suppose I saw your human side profile in a photo Sunny took a long time ago. But honestly I can't picture your face at all. I'm not saying you don't look nice as a wolf-"

"How old are you?"

Jaci's lips paused speaking and she closed them. "I'm twenty-four. You?"

Jungkook laughed which sounded more like a growl. "Not anywhere near twenty-four."

Jaci looked dismayed but slowly nodded. "I guess werewolves do live a long time."

"Mm hm."

"So...is it true that you all go crazy during the full moon?"

Jungkook cocked his head a bit. "Define crazy."

Jaci cleared her throat and sat up a bit straighter. "You know, like terrorizing towns and villages, turning people into werewolves, that kinda stuff."

"What are they teaching you guys at this university? No, we do not go on binges, ripping apart humans, and turning them into werewolves. That's scientifically impossible anyway."

"Oh? Has anyone done a study in recent years? I would love to see it."

Jungkook shook his furry head. "No. No one has done a study. It's just common werewolf knowledge."

"Oh. I see." Jaci fidgeted a bit, still feeling a bit weird talking to a wolf.

She watched the muted sunlight from the door window dance around Jungkook's fur, making it seem almost shimmery. It looked quite soft and her hands itched to reach out and bury themselves in it. His ears, tall and thick, were still alert and showing no sign of relaxing. His tail laid around his back legs, like a giant feather duster.

"You're staring," he said.

"Ah. Sorry! But you do have a beautiful coat. It looks so soft. May I touch it?" Jaci knew she was being incredibly forward, but she might never get this chance again.

Jungkook snarled his lip. "No."

Jaci's fingers laced together, disappointed they would be feeling no werewolf fur today.

"So, Sunny says you live on the other side of the mountain. What brings you here today?"

"I was trying to get away from an annoying woman. Seems I am out of luck today."

Jaci frowned. "Hey, look here. I'm trying to be nice to you! You've pounced on me, growled and snarled at me, you've been rude, and unkind! I promise I am not here to ruin your life, or Sunny and Tae's. I'm just a girl who loves this kind of stuff and I want to learn all I can before I am forced to go out into the world and get a 'real' job."

Jaci's shoulders slumped and she suddenly looked tired.

"First of all, we are not stuff. We are real people and we have feelings, intellect, and ways of life that are older than your ancestors. Secondly, a real job would be less dangerous than studying the supernatural."

"Sorry, I misspoke. You're right. You aren't stuff. And I don't want a boring job. I don't mind the danger. I mean, I'm sitting here talking to you, aren't I? And you're big enough to rip me in half, yet I'm not even nervous anymore."

"Not every supernatural being is like us though, Jaci. You need to learn that. Not everyone is trustworthy and kind to humans. You're lucky Sunny was here. Before she came, no humans were tolerated."