Chapter 1: Danger

Video and music isn't mine!

Your POV

You wake up from sleeping on the floor since you can not afford a bed. You see that it's morning from looking out the window.

You yawn, getting up. You brush your hands through your (h/l), (h/c) hair. You get up to get ready in your small bathroom. As you brush your hair, you start to sing. (Disney princess much? Sorry but in this story, you like to sing)

After getting ready, you get on your hands and knees to scrub down the wood floor, cleaning it well with soap and water. You open a few windows to let the cool breeze in.

After moving onto hand-washing the dishes you hear a crowd out in the main village. It's probably another killing of an innocent person. You cautiously walk out from the safety of your cottage and head to the main village after putting on a warm, red cloak.

When you get there sure enough, there's screaming and angry villagers. The name sends shivers to your spine. Everyone is afraid of him, with good reason too. He kills for sport. For the fun of it. He doesn't care about anyone's feelings and is told to lose his temper very easily. You watch as the guards hold the people back as an elderly man gets kicked to the ground. You're disgusted. How can the prince be so cruel to his people? There's nothing you could do about it as much as you wanted to. People who stand up to guards get killed right away or get taken away.

"Y/N!" You hear a familiar voice exclaim. You turn to see Hoseok. (He's one of your close friends in this)

"Y/N what are you doing here? It's not safe!" He whispers. "Let's go." You quickly grab his hand and you two run together through the village.

People are screaming and running. You accidentally bump into someone running and they trip, falling.

"Sorry!" You help the young man up.

He bows his head, catching up with his family.

You sneak out of the abandoned barn, most likely abandoned by a family because of all the chaos. You see some guards passing by. You and Hoseok end up going back to your cottage.

When you get inside you lock the doors and windows, close all the blinds, and hide underneath the table.

"What's happening?" You ask.

"The prince is choosing his mate." Is all he says.

"W what? I thought he didn't want a lover!" Your eyes go wide. This is very bad. This could change everything. What if you were chosen?

"The guards are gathering up all the young girls your age. Seriously Y/N, why did you go? Out of all the times you could be there, you chose today!"

"I thought someone was getting their head chopped off. I wanted to see." You explain.

"And why on earth would you want to see that for?"

"I want to remember everyone who has left."

"Well don't. It'll happen to you eventually if you keep getting in harm's way." He scolds you. "We need to come up with a plan in the morning." He lies down next to you.

"Hoseok, what if he picks me?"

Hoseok looks up at you, and widens his eyes. "No, you can't! I won't let you!" He quickly wraps his arms around you. "You can't you can't!" He keeps crying.

"Shhh, it's alright. He won't get me."

"Promise?" Tears stream down his face.

"I promise. Everything is going to be okay." You smile.

(Night time)

You and Hobi sleep together on the floor. None of you can really sleep hearing the screaming and fires coming from the village. You see your friend tossing and turning in his sleep.

Whenever you were scared when you were little, your mother picked flowers outside to give them to you. The smell always calmed you down nonetheless. You sigh, getting up and going outside in the yard. You'll only be gone for a second. Plus the riots and fires were closer to the castle and farther back.