Nine

Neveah glanced to the right upon hearing some leaves split and shrivel up into pieces, she noticed someone walking across the grass towards them

Neveah glanced to the right upon hearing some leaves split and shrivel up into pieces, she noticed someone walking across the grass towards them. He was familiar, but she simply looked away and went back to her work. In front of her, Maggie sat with a hand to her forehead as she read the rest of her novel since Adam was further ahead than she was, which meant she needed to catch up.

The boy had felt bad for the way his friend had treated both girls, but wanted to apologize in their behalf to the one girl in particular. He knew it wasn't right to leave a dead conversation how it ended like that, so he was there to smooth things over a bit. Apologize mainly to both girls, but to Maggie Brooks because Charlie shouldn't have treated her that way, and neither should she towards him, but the girl was only defending herself.

Neveah kept a glance to the boy from her peripheral vision while her head remained low towards her books. She kinda smirked to herself. She'd seen that boy speak to Maggie before and as weird as he was because he was country, she thought he was a good change around the snobby school. His accent tricked her, but Neveah knew she'd get the hang of it sooner or later.

"Howdy, Girls." He approached the table.

Maggie and Neveah both looked up to meet the boy. Maggie narrowed her eyes on the boy, the sun directly behind him, as she turned to see him better. "Hi Cowboy." Neveah smiled.

"Neveah," He nods, tipping his hat. "I wanted to speak to ya both." Neveah pushed down on the bench and Dwayne thanked her, but remained standing at the end of the table. "I also wanted to talk to you later." He looked over to Maggie.

She was taken back by that, but nodded with a blank face, looking back to her books. "Sure."

"An 'way, I wanted to say sorry 'bout the way my friend spoke to ya. He ain't himself too much these days." He explained.

"I can tell." Neveah said. "He's still cute though."

Dwayne half laughed at her comment. "Yeah," He rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, I thought you two deserved an apology of some sort for what he'd said. The rest of us don't think y'all are snobs. Course you're rich'n'all, but that don't make ya snobby."

"Thanks, Dwayne." Maggie spoke up.

He nodded, again, tipping his hat, and Neveah began to giggle. "You're a farm boy, but that don't make ya country." Neveah spoke up, mocking his words.

He didn't understand and went ahead with a different topic. "The team wouldn't mind your opinion on Coach Orion though." He began. "The man's a bit rough on the ice, talkin' 'bout some two way hockey."

"Makes sense."

"He means offense and defense." Maggie interrupted. "I saw your gimmicks at the game."

"Gimmicks?" Dwayne questioned and then laughed. "No, those ain't gimmicks. Those are our tricks."

"You know what?" Neveah spoke up, closing her books. "I just remembered I have to go find Scooter."

"Why?" Maggie asked.

Neveah stopped with books to her chest, thinking of an excuse. "I um, we-he has my book." She nods half confidently. "Yeah, he has my geography book because he had an exam today and I lent it to him. Bye!" She wandered off in a hurry. Maggie watched her friend leave and Dwayne laughed at the weird girl before he sat down where she was once sitting.

It was quiet between the two of them after Neveah's sudden disappearance, which Maggie knew the reason behind. Neveah had a feeling it was time for her to walk off and leave those two be. She had no idea if there was anything between them other than a friendship, but that didn't mean something more couldn't happen.

"Thanks for the apology, Dwayne, but you didn't have to." She told him, closing her books since he was there and there wasn't a reason for her to keep working.

He looked at her. "I wanted to." He answered. "The least we could do...Varsity always like that?" He asked her, curious about them. "What about you, do you always run with them?"

She lifted her head, shaking it slowly before answering. "No. I mean, they can be demanding. They're the best of the best and if anyone tries to ruin their egos, they'll put your straight. But I don't think that's why they hate you."

"Why is it?"

She shrugged with half a smile, finding it oddly stupid. "You guys got our brothers' slots. So, they're mad about that, besides, I don't think this school usually gives out scholarships."

"I know we stole their slots 'n all, but it ain't our fault we're better." She laughed. "It's true, ain't it?"

"Very." She agreed.

"Now why do you hang out with them?"

Maggie didn't quite have an answer for him because she herself didn't have a true one. "I've just always been around them. They came over to the house all the time when I was younger and I guess I wanted to be friends with them too. They're just old brothers I can't get rid of. You got any brothers or sister?"

He shook his head. "Just myself."

"What do you to keep busy then?" She wondered.

"I got my animals." And she nodded, forgetting for a moment that he was a ranch boy. "Ride horses, run with them sheep, chase the chickens for their eggs, wash the dirty dogs. You know, work."

"You like it?"

"Oh yeah." He nodded, getting happy about this topic of home. About his farm life and where he came from, he adored living in the middle of no where outside of town. Where the shone early every morning across the hay fields and bonfires lit up the night. "I love it. Won't see it much 'cause I'm here now."

"We got horses here." She points to the stables. "Course, ya gotta be in some sort of horse sport to ride." She finished.

He understood.

Stomping outside, Varsity flooded from the doors and Neveah had ran out first, coming across the grass to see Maggie and Dwayne. She stopped at the table, throwing her bag down on the wooden surface as she eyed both of them. Maggie and Dwayne were taken back by this, but suddenly Maggie noticed the older boys escaping from the school in a hurry, looking for someone in particular.

Neveah sat down beside Dwayne, picking up her bag and threw it on him. "What're-"

"Shh." She told him. "Hold it there."

Scooter jogged across the grass and met the girls, noticing a third person, but didn't bother with them. "Mags," He looked over to his sister as Neveah remained quiet. "Guys and I are going to find Coach Wilson. I'll be home later, you'll have to take the bus."

"Why?" She questioned, concerned suddenly. "What happened?"

"Ducks froze our locker room, just head home in a bit, I'll see you later."

She nodded. "Bye, Scott." She answered.

When he was far enough away with his friends, Neveah grabbed her bag and set it down beside her, eyeing Dwayne and Maggie looked over to him as well. "You guys from their locker room?" She asked.

"I didn't personally do it." He answered. "But they threw our clothes into the showers. Soaked 'em right up." He retorted.

Neveah laughed. "You realize you caused war, right?"

"They'll win." Maggie stood up, warning him. "Don't start something you guys may not win."

"Charlie's idea." Dwayne told the girls. "Well, I should get goin' since you two gotta go." He stood up as well, hauling his bag to his shoulder.

"See you tomorrow, Cowboy!" Neveah waved.

"Bye, Dwayne."

"Bye, girls." He nods and wandered off towards the dorms. The girls jogged off down the street, seeing the time, so they could catch the bus and head back to Maggie's place.