Two

Maggie leaned back against her locker, watching her brother's friends pick on some kids her age

Maggie leaned back against her locker, watching her brother's friends pick on some kids her age. She didn't know any of them personally, but she had read about them in paper and seen a few clips on TV, even one of their games at Goodwill. She disliked that her brother's friends were picking on some teenage kids her age. However, she knew high school wasn't supposed to be an easy road trip. It was to be a hell ride with bumps and little to no smooth sails.

Cole rammed Luis into the lockers for staring at a few cheerleaders and then Rick pushed Ken aside by shoving his hand in the boy's face, walking off with a chuckle. Rick followed in tow, coming right towards her. She was watching the entire time, finding it wrong what they were doing. Maggie was friendly towards everyone, no matter who they were. Just because these kids were having the worst first day didn't mean she needed to help the matter and make it worst. There was one problem standing between her and them.

Varsity.

She was considered their 'little sister' because she was Scooter's younger sister. They all treated her with respect and adored having her around. She was merely three and a half years younger than them, but she wasn't bratty within the last few years. Growing out of that stage as she was becoming more serious and independent, less dependent on her parents. And she adored hanging out with them and they were known to be protective, which sometimes she found too overprotective at times.

Hearing the bell, her eyes widened and she pulled her backpack up onto her shoulder quickly. She wandered down the hall quickly before being caught in the mob of students in a flee to leave. Being squished between some people, she groaned as she hit shoulders with someone. Managing to escape the flee, she noticed her friend further down the hall with a wavier in hand as she looked for participants to sign it.

"Forget about it. All you Warrior jocks stick together." She turned away.

"But I'm not a Warrior, I'm a Duck." The boy replied, watching her leave.

She approached Maggie. "Maggie, hey, will you sign this?" She smiled.

Maggie stopped with a kind smile, seeing the one Linda had sent her. She nodded and pulled her bag up onto her shoulder. Charlie Conway turned, not embarrassed about routing for Warrior teams, but he was embarrassed that he made a fool of himself in front of a cute girl. He watched the girl's exchange briefly with the other girl before he turned away and wandered off.

"What's it for?" She asked, already signing her name.

"It's to change the demeaning Warrior name." She answered.

"Oooh." Her face fell. "Don't tell Varsity hockey, they'll blow a gasket." She laughed.

"I know." Linda laughed along. "But the more names, the better."

"All right, I'll get my girlfriends to sign. But I have to get going, Scooter's driving me back."

Linda nodded with a wave before giving a farewell to Maggie. Maggie continued down the hall, heading for the arena where she was going to watch the last bit of her brother's practice.

Upon arriving, she noticed a few kids standing around at the door by the Zamboni entrance. She ignored them and continued walking, wanting to say 'hi', but decided not to because the Varsity boys would be on her tail. She was told already not to go near them or speak to any of them. That they were bums who stole the slots of their younger brothers.

Maggie didn't see it the same way the boys did. She knew the new team was there for a reason. If they weren't any good, then their younger brothers would be there. Obviously this new team was much better if they were there, and all on scholarships.

Standing in the stands by the boards, she watched the boys finish up their practice. Cole and Rick joining Scooter by the nets. Maggie noticed the few stares aimed in her direction from the kids on the new JV team. She couldn't deny the fact they were good looking and she noticed two girls among that group of rowdy kids who watched with eagerness.

"Lookee there, duckies watchin' Maggie." Cole snickered.

"Guys, I don't see what the big problem is here." Scooter spoke up. "My sister can handle herself."

"We know she can, but not without a warning."

"Hey," Rick laughed. "Watch this." He turned on the edges of his skates, lifting his stick swiftly when he got ahead f the net. He took a shot on net, purposely missing and hit the hard plastic boards where the JV team was. He spooked most of them and Maggie couldn't help but bring a hand to her mouth, giggling at the matter. It wasn't right to laugh, but she couldn't help herself.

She didn't hear the exchange between the older boys and the JV tam, too far away to overhear anything. Maggie figured there must've been some beef between them. She couldn't feel the heat or tension, but from the way Coach Wilson ordered his men off the ice in a hurry, it seemed like they'd been too busy chit chattin' rather than leaving.

"Hey Mag," Scooter greeted with a smile, hitting her shoulder with his gloved hand.

She sent him a smile. "Hey. So, ugh, you guys got 'beef' with them or something?" She laughed, pointing over to the JV team.

"Don't worry about it." Rick told her.

"Yeah, they're gonna leave on their own when they find out this league is harder than they thought." Cole added.

"This league is different than ours." Scooter mentioned.

"Scooter, don't be smart. You're confusing poor Cole." Rick said.

"Well, we should be going." Maggie waved, leaving the arena as JV began to round up in a friendly game of tag that Bombay had modified and taught them.