Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

                “You aren’t a killer, Jonah. It just ain’t yer way and that’s a good thing. Why if’n the entire world was full of killers than we’d all more than likely be dead within a week cuz we’d shoot each other.  Scarlett would have found us again even if’n ya had killed that bastard before.  He’s dead now and you killed him. You paid him back.”

                Jonah laughed, though it was barely more than a push of breath through his nose. He squeezed her tighter and kissed her hair. “You don’t know how much I need you, Joe. Reb’s right, I’ve always turned to the bottle. There’s always been a sadness, a darkness, inside of me and it’s always been real close, almost like it was watching me and just waiting for the chance to take over…. But guess what? That darkness is damned scared of you.”

                “’Course it is.” Joe replied with a smile as she looked up and kissed his jaw. “I’m damned scary.”

                “You’re my light, Josephine. I don’t really live when I don’t have you.”

                Joe felt a tear fill her eye and she quickly blinked it away. She looked up into his gray eyes and saw all the love for her shining back out. “Why Jonah Winchester, I do believe that’s the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me.” She admitted with a trembling smile.

                Jonah gave her a small smile and kissed her forehead tenderly. “And I meant ever word.”

                Joe felt her passion rising as Jonah’s breath washed over her face but she quickly pushed those thoughts away and tried hard to ignore the heat between her legs. Now was not the time for making love, no matter how badly she felt as if she needed his touch.

                She wanted to turn away as Jonah’s lips lowered toward her own but instead she leaned into him, her lips parting in anticipation for his kiss. She needed Jonah’s kiss, his body against hers. She needed their bodies to become one as he touched her tenderly. Joe knew that would help chase away some of the fear and desperation she was feeling, if only for a while.

                Then suddenly her longing was doused thoroughly when a throat cleared behind them and Bart spoke.

                “I don’t wanna interrupt….”

                “Then go away.” Joe snapped without looking at him. She could feel Jonah’s grip on her tightening and knew his temper was rising. Joe hadn’t realized that Jonah had such a temper and she guessed that he probably hadn’t realized it either. She had a feeling it was a fairly new development that had come along with gaining a wife and child. That temper seemed to rear its head only when she and Clayton were threatened or Bart was around.

                “Jonah, can I speak with Joe for a minute?” 

                “I reckon she’s got ears and a mind, Bart, so why don’t you ask her?” Joe glanced up at Bart and saw him nod as he swallowed hard.