Chapter Twenty-Two

Clayton’s stomach rumbled and clenched tightly, the growls it was giving out seeming extra loud inside this damned trunk he was still locked up in. Hungry didn’t begin to describe what he was and his mouth was so dry he could barely open it… His tongue felt swollen and it was sticking to the roof of his mouth. He needed something to drink but, true to his word, the big man hadn’t given him any food or water.

                Clayton didn’t even know how long he’d been in this trunk, though he had been removed from the train a while back and was now being bounced and jostled around painfully in the back of a cart or wagon. Every part of him hurt but he was determined not to cry anymore.

                He’d been told by more than one person that he was a genius. He hadn’t known what they were calling him at first but he had later figured out it meant he was really smart. He knew that most children his age were still picking their noses and chasing chickens, (which was actually kind of fun), but Clayton was more like a little grown-up, least that’s what his mama always said.

                It made him different. It made the other children in towns not want to be around him. The children his age were too immature and the older children saw him as a baby. It had always shocked the grown ups that he and his mama met as well. Clayton had always kinda liked being different but right now…. Right now he felt like a baby.

                He had cried for hours. He wanted his mama. His belly was hurting.  And the worst part was he had peed in his pants because he hadn’t been able to hold it any longer. What would his mama and pa say? They’d probably be ashamed of him. He was supposed to be tough. He was Clayton Winchester! Right now though he felt anything but tough.

                The lurching movement of the cart stopped and Clayton listened intently to the voices around him.

                “We got that package for Miss Scarlett.” The big man’s voice rumbled.

                “She’ll be happy about that, Bear.” Another man replied. Bear? What kind of mama named their child Bear? Clayton would have giggled if he hadn’t been so thirsty.

                “Let’s get his gate opened and y’all can come on in.” a third voice spoke up.

                Clayton whimpered when the cart began to move again and he was once again jostled against the trunk. It wasn’t long however before the cart stopped again and Clayton felt the trunk being lifted.

                “Should we let him out?” a man grunted.

                “No. Let the bastard stay in there until Scarlett decides to let him loose.” Bear replied with a growl. Clayton hated that man. Hated him. Hated him. Hated him.

                It seemed like forever that Clayton was carried. The wetness on his pants was starting to make him burn…. He squeezed his eyes shut tight when his stomach growled and clenched painfully once again.

                He heard a knocking sound and then a door opened.

                “Bear!” A woman exclaimed. Her voice was smooth and proper… She sounded rich. Clayton wasn’t sure how a person sounded rich but she sure did. “What’s in that trunk?”

                “That thing you asked for.” Bear replied.

                “How long has he been in there?” the woman demanded, sounding angry as the trunk once again began to move. Clayton cried out when suddenly the trunk was tossed down roughly on the ground and he felt the impact in his bones.