Chapter Nineteen

Joe felt terror. Animalistic and pure in its rawest form. Never had she felt so helpless or so out of control. Tears were filling her eyes as she clutched Jonah’s shirt in her fists and stared up at him, praying he could make it all right. Damn being strong, right now she just wanted her son!

                “Jonah, did you hear me!” she exclaimed, not caring that she sounded like a panicked woman. “Clayton is gone!”

                Joe could see the fear in Jonah’s gray eyes but the man pulled her to his side and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. “Maybe he just couldn’t hear you, Joe. Or he wandered too far….”

                “No. If there is one thing Clayton never does it’s disobey me. He never has.  He’s too smart for that.”   

                “Just the same, let’s both take a good look around before we think the worst.” Jonah urged. Joe knew it was pointless and wanted to scream at him but she held it back and forced herself to breathe. She was Joe Redding-Winchester. She didn’t crack under pressure or become blind with panic.

                She heard Jonah speaking to the sheriff and then Jonah pulled her into the crowd, shielding her body with his…Was he trying to protect her? Did that mean he really thought Clayton was gone too and he was protecting Joe from whoever had taken their son?!  That panicked feeling began to come over her again but Jonah’s lips found her temple, his warm breath caressed her skin and Joe let that be an anchor, keeping her grounded and preventing her from losing it completely.

                “Clayton!” Jonah called out. Joe was glad the man was abnormally tall. It meant he would have a clearer view of the diner.

                Joe heard the sheriff calling out as well and then there was a gunshot. Joe’s heart stopped beating and while it pissed her off that she was acting so much like a woman, she would have fallen as her legs swooned if not for Jonah’s strong arm holding her up.

                Then Joe realized it was Jonah who had fired the shot and he had blown a hole in the diner ceiling with that peacemaker of his when he’d done so.

                “Everybody listen up!” Jonah’s voice echoed loudly as scared women and children clung to their husbands and fathers. “I’m looking for my son. He’s four.” Jonah glanced around again and Joe’s eyes scanned for her son. “Clayton, are you here?”

                “I told you he’s gone, Jonah!” Joe exclaimed and Jonah’s arm tightened almost painfully on her shoulders. Jonah strode to the stage where Clayton had been watching the music. The musicians had stopped playing and silence had fallen over the diner. Not even the sound of silverware clanking disrupted the perfect quiet.

                “Ma’am, my son came over here and was watching y’all play and sing. Did you see him?” Jonah demanded of the fancily dressed woman on the stage. The woman looked confused and Joe stepped forward.