Chapter Sixteen

“Barbadine!?” Clayton exclaimed. “Y’all are taking me all the way to Barbadine?”

                Jonah nodded. “Yeah. They got more to offer than that tiny town a bit closer and your mama can get more for those furs there.”

                “I can’t hardly wait! I ain’t never been to a town as big as Barbadine before!”

                “I hate Barbadine.” Joe grumbled as she drove the cart. Jonah shook his head and smiled.

                “You hate any town that has more than thirty people and a bank.” He reminded her and Joe simply nodded because it was the truth.

                Jonah had other reasons for going to Barbadine. He was hoping the law there would know something about Scarlett and why she was free but more importantly where Jonah could find her. Jonah had a family to protect now and he wasn’t going to let that bitch take it away from him.

                “It’ll take us a good three or four days to reach Barbadine.” Reb complained. “My backside is gettin’ too damned old.”

                Joe laughed and threw him a sideways glance. “Ya could always ride on out to California and settle on down with yer wife. I’m sure she’s missin’ yer ass somethin’ awful.”   

                Reb grumbled as he adjusted himself in his saddle. “Ya were never ‘spose to mention that again, Jonah. I still can’t believe ya told her ass.”

                “I just can’t believe he didn’t tell me sooner.” Joe countered. Clayton rode up close to Reb and looked over at the man with a frown.

                Reb raised his brow. “What’s on yer mind, boy?”

                “You have a wife? What kinda woman married you?”

                “Clayton!” Joe exclaimed, though Jonah caught the laugh that was in her voice. Jonah rode up beside Clayton and smiled at Reb’s shocked expression.

                “It was a desperate one, Clayton. Lonely, homely and very very tall.”  He informed his son and Reb’s entire body convulsed in an involuntary shudder.

                “Dammit! Can’t we just agree to never speak of her again?!” Reb demanded, causing Clayton to giggle.

                “I don’t think Uncle Reb likes his wife. “

                “Oh I like her alright. Far away and completely out of my sight. Why by now I’d say she done married somebody else and never even thinks of me.”

                “Really?” Clayton asked and Reb grinned.